Thread: Caribou Cape

Default Caribou Cape

Once your cape is salted, How do you fold it? or do you? How should it be put into the game bag? or should it?

skin to skin, in the shade, and at an incline to facilitate the drainage of moisture extracted from the tissues, minimize time in plastic bags due to encouragement of bacterial growth

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    skin to skin, in the shade, and at an incline to facilitate the drainage of moisture extracted from the tissues, minimize time in plastic bags due to encouragement of bacterial growth
    Bingo ShpHtr~ I'll add that you may wish to place in a moisture absorbing device (old towel, heavy walled cotton game bag will suffice). It's truly amazing at the amount of moisture that is drawn away from the hide. If you do place in a plastic bag, double bag it! There's nothing worse than the gunk dripping all over your gear and down your legs (been there before). Lastly, if a field more than a few days, remove hide from bags, unfold and allow to air dry/remove excess moisture, but keep an eye out for flies, you definately don't want any larve the next time you unfold it.
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

If you are interested in more in depth info, I found the wilderness taxidermy DVD set to be pretty worthwhile. Lots of good footage, good information, and entertaining as well. I seem to remember it was fairly well priced for a 3 DVD set.

Default Look at Free Help

I put a post on here offering this kind of help. Scroll down and look for the title (free help). I will go look for it and bump it back up.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083