Thread: What's your early season moose strategy???

Default What's your early season moose strategy???

I bow hunt the early season (Aug 10-17) & have never been able to come up with a strategy that consistentlt puts me on moose. It seems to boil down to luck more than anything else when you live in an area where they have seemingly unlimited food, water, & shelter.
    Beyond finding a bull during pre-season scouting & keeping an eye on him, any suggestions?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Look in the thick stuff. If it's warm out, they'll be nocturnal, only moving at night. You'll have to find him bedded down.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thats easy.. i drew the coveted cow tag for Knik region. I'll wait until the dogs start barking at a moose in the yard, lean out the door, and shoot myself a cow. Then I will field dress it, and hump it 20 yards to the front porch to hang.

I think that early mornings and late evenings are best, in line with with pike palace says, but don't discount midday hunting. The last spike I took in August was taken right around noon, and I saw at least 40% of the moose on that hunt right in the middle of day. During our short summers ungulates have to feed constantly, so unlike whitetails moose don't tend to bed down for the entire day. As for strategy, I just hunt the edges of swamps and cover lots of ground. I know that sitting still and spotting is generally a better moose hunting technique, but my early season hunts are down low where spotting isn't really possible and calling, of course, is out of the question this early. So...yes, a large part of it is luck and being in the right place at the right time. That last August moose of mine was taken within 20 yards of my ATV when I was ready to quit after a long morning of trudging through thigh-deep muck. I was taking my pack off my back when....hey, there's one!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    What's your early season moose strategy???
    KILL!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.......

I haven't Bow hunted for moose yet in the real early season but have killed a bit the first three days of rifle. Bow hunting is on my list of to do's......

... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Thanks for all the help guys, including the attitude reminder DMan!

My stradegy so far has been prety much the same as Brian's so I guess I'll just stick with it. Maybe I need a 4 wheeler for a decoy?
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I have not hunted in the early bow season as the unit that I hunt in does not have one. But I have taken a lot of moose in the first few days of Sept. I have hunted in the same area for the last 30 years and I think a lot of it has to do with being familiar with the area in which you are hunting. Even in an area of seeming unlimited feed and cover there are some places that moose seem to hang out in more of the time. I mainly concentrate on these areas with pretty consistent results.

Default If it's like last season

I should just drive down the road throw out my gas money then go to the store and Buy some beef!!

Mabey this year is my year

Either way I will be in the woods enjoy nature and life!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

It really depends on your hunting area; if you find a hill to over look an area spend all day spotting. When you find an animal wait until it lays down before going after it.

Airplanes are great for finding moose locations, moose tend to stay in one location in early Aug.

Brush and swamp are a real challenge; the problem is finding a legal animal. To do this you need to cover on foot as much ground as possible as quietly as possible. I agree with akdd knowing the area really helps. This may sound dumn but having good hearing is a real plus. Your clothes should be extremely quiet and learn how to stalk. If a moose hears you, knowing how to sound like a moose is a plus.

In the past I have attempted to hunt this way and had very little success, in the last 10 months. I have been researching this method of hunting, again. I will know by Sep. 20 if I have learned anything or will it be another year of starting out knowing everything and ending the year, knowing nothing. God I love moose hunting.

Akdd, your advice about becoming intimate with the area makes great sense. I was out scouting a small area this morning. Lots of beds, usually in 3s, but 3 beds that were a single animal. Encouraging.
    And Rutting Moose, I guess it's becoming a better hunter(predator) that moves a guy from occassionaly lucky to generally successful.
    Vance in AK.