Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship Creek

Default Ship Creek

Ship is teeming with Silvers and pinks!! fish the incoming tide with roe and bobber until the current slows enough to toss vibrex. They are killing the yellow, red, and blue vibrex!! Haven't fished the outgoing tide yet, anyone have news on that?

Anyone have news on the Talkeetna, lil su, or montana creek??
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Fished the outgoing tide this morning from 6:30 until 7:45 or so. Lots of action! Hook-ups left and right on eggs and Vibrax (of course, many, many pinks). Personally didn't have any luck but I chalk that up to having to leave and go to work Will be back tomorrow morning, though.

Sort of surprising after the lackluster king season, and so-so red run, but for whatever reason -- the silvers seemed to have shown up in good numbers.

Default Bait

Are people bait fishing out on the flats or up past the bridge? I drove down last week and didn't see a sole out on the flats.

Default fishing

I went down there lastnight in my boat and cruised around before heading into ship and didnt see anything on the fishfinder. Were are you guys fishing at? I was down by the flats and didnt see anything caught. Unless im in the wrong area fishing. Might have to expand my search to a bigger area.

So what time on the incoming tide in the morning should I go? I have fished both past evenings and haven't seen a person hook up on one yet. Do you fish a couple hours before high tide, at high tide, low tide? Thanks

Default Fish

You just keep on fishing till you catch one!!! Tight lines!!!

Talking

I'll come in friday and show you how its done.

just came back from Ship...not a one person there had a catch...i went from 5:30-around 7. I personally used pink and orange pixees and fly cast using purple sucking leech. Started at the walk bridge and went down further past the train bridge where all the muck starts. no luck anywhere...no one I've seen there had much luck either...

I fished from 5-8 on the downstream side of C street bridge. Threw everything in my box(pixees,little cleos,mepps and vibrax) in all colors and didnt hook up either. Saw 1 caught down from me and a couple just down from the resturant on roe/bobber. Although, a native woman said i was leaving at the best time. Walked the dog around 10 this mornin and saw the flippers catching fish and leaving with limits. Debating the merits of that technique after today.

You have to fish ship really early before high tide...I'm talkin like 4 hours!! If you're fishin during high or slack, you're wrong!! haha...anyways tho, watch the water, ght when the tide starts to come in and the current slows, there is about an hour window where they are EXTREMELY active and usually you can limit in about 25-45 mins! And it sounds like you guys are all too far up ship, you gotta move down further towards the mouth, but I'm not going to tell you exactly where to go without starting a ship creek guide service!! hahaha how funny would it be to take some tourists down to ship and watch em flip flop around in the mud??? LOL
    Missing the greatest state in the Union!

Quote Originally Posted by HILL View Post
    hahaha how funny would it be to take some tourists down to ship and watch em flip flop around in the mud??? LOL
    Haha...

That would be silly

I did it with Jim.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Are there open/closed hours on Ship Creek at this time or is that just for the King run?
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default 24/7

It's open 24/7 now.

Well tried flippin, caught a nice silver. Just cant bring myself to yank every flip though. Saw a bunch of guys snag 5 for everyone they managed to hook in the mouth. Although, saw a little kid in waders down there flipping and he was wearing out the fish, silvers and pinks. He even has his own little club.

Default Guiding Ship

Actually, I HAVE been guiding there this summer (ask SodaBiscuit) and I haven't drowned a tourist yet (although I've been swimming myself and stuck in the mud once - ask SodaBiscuit).

The tourists I've taken have had really good luck with the silvers and have generally enjoyed watching and fishing with regular local fishermen. They've just enjoyed themselves actually getting to fish in town. Much of the time they just want to catch and release.

Haven't had a pissy person yet, even when they've gotten skunked. So I can't say anything bad about visitors I've had out with me (ask SodaBiscuit)...

jim

would i be able to walk out along the edge up on the north side of the creek next to the industrial area or is that off limits? looking at satellite image from google maps, it looks like i can probably get better footing and less risk of sinking there..

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Actually, I HAVE been guiding there this summer (ask SodaBiscuit) and I haven't drowned a tourist yet (although I've been swimming myself and stuck in the mud once - ask SodaBiscuit).

The tourists I've taken have had really good luck with the silvers and have generally enjoyed watching and fishing with regular local fishermen. They've just enjoyed themselves actually getting to fish in town. Much of the time they just want to catch and release.

Haven't had a pissy person yet, even when they've gotten skunked. So I can't say anything bad about visitors I've had out with me (ask SodaBiscuit)...

jim
    True. True and True.
    On June 11th, on my very first day on the Russian, on my very first CAST I hooked into a fish. I thought it was luck. But I hooked into well over 25 fish that day and most of them in the mouth.
    We dont flip where Im from. Its all due to Jim (and BrianM putting me on a good hole!).
    He's good for us tourists! Plus, I only fell in the mud once !
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Default North side okay

Yes, footing on the north side of the creek from the AK Fish & Game wire downstream to the former Bridge Restaurant has good footing. Then you get into the mud and will need hip waders at least, chestwaders and boots to be sure you can get through the mud you encounter downstream...

Was at ship this morning, seen 1 taken, and many rolling. Wasnt for a lack of fish, just a lack of biting.

Taking the kids down there in about an hour.

If we survive the Friday crowds I will report back to you all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast