Thread: Wood rifle stock question

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Wood rifle stock question

I know someone has answered this question in the last 6 months but I have searched all thru the forum and cant find the thread. What do you use to leach the oil and grease stains out of a wood stock before re-finishing?
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    I know someone has answered this question in the last 6 months but I have searched all thru the forum and cant find the thread. What do you use to leach the oil and grease stains out of a wood stock before re-finishing?
    Brownells sells a chemcial but I forgot what it is called. It is a powder and you mix it with something to make a paste. You might find it on there web site.
    Or maybe somebody here knows what it called?

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post

Get your self some of the Formbey's finish remover from the paint store/hardware store.

A couple of rubber bands and a couple of rolls of paper towels. Get a cheap paint brush, 2".

Follow the directions on the can.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Any solvent will work: paint thinner, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone...

I use paint thinner first, allowing the stock to sit in the liquid a few days, then air dry. Do this a few times. Then proceed using clean solvent. I use several washes of acetone to remove the oils once on the surface.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...