Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if you draw but do not get tag?

Default What if you draw but do not get tag?

What happens to tags that are drawn but the person who drew never gets the permit? Just curious, I have not drawn and do not plan to bail if I did but I wonder what happens when some people draw certain moose tags then discover the insane costs - to go unguided and get taken in, and bail on the hunt. Does the next person in line get the tag? Is their an "alternate" list?

For NR it could make a big difference, some places have very few tags.

If the permitee draws a tag then doesn't go then the tag goes unused.

Currently there is no alternate's list.

If a tag winner cannot or will not hunt that tag is lost.

The way your question is worded I thought you were asking what to do if you've drawn but your actual permit doesn't come in the mail? In that case, 3 weeks after the winners list is released, if you've not received your tag by all means call ADF&G

Send the hunt report back no matter what. There's a line to indicate "did not hunt". Failure to return the report will disqualify you for eligibility next year.

Default AND

That is only one more reason to have your research done prior to putting in for a tag. Not once you get one. I know several people who have gotten tags and then said screw it. Well, that's a hunt that some dad and his son have been waiting a lifetime for and somebody just threw it away. That's the way I think about it. Don't put in for it if you aren't sure you can hunt it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    That is only one more reason to have your research done prior to putting in for a tag. Not once you get one. I know several people who have gotten tags and then said screw it. Well, that's a hunt that some dad and his son have been waiting a lifetime for and somebody just threw it away. That's the way I think about it. Don't put in for it if you aren't sure you can hunt it.
    Just curious if you put in for drawing permits on different species if the hunts would conflict?

Default Toughie

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Just curious if you put in for drawing permits on different species if the hunts would conflict?
    That can happen. When I apply for hunts, I look to see that this won't happen, but it is possible, and I don't think you can really blame people for getting into that situation. I'd advise to play the odds. If two hunts happen at the same time, and they have a draw rate of 5% each, the odds one person will get both is 1 in 400. Could happen, but would be quite rare. If the draw percentage is higher for either one, I recommend scheduling for both.

Oh, and DonV, there may be one point of confusion in your original question. For hunts that require you to get a locking tag, like brown bear hunts, that applies to regular season hunts only. For a draw permit hunt, you do not need to purchase a locking tag. If you're awarded the hunt, that's all you need.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default Personally

I personally look at every potential conflict and make sure I can hunt one of each species if drawn. IE Zero chances of not hunting a permit. "Hey, what are the chances" you say....... Well, (yeah, I didn't think it would happen either) I drew 3 permits this year and have no problem hunting all three because of a little pre-planning and consideration of others. I figure thats alot better than not hunting a permit. You are screwing someone in the end. Bad Karma. Good Karma gets you 3 permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    That can happen. When I apply for hunts, I look to see that this won't happen, but it is possible, and I don't think you can really blame people for getting into that situation. I'd advise to play the odds. If two hunts happen at the same time, and they have a draw rate of 5% each, the odds one person will get both is 1 in 400. Could happen, but would be quite rare. If the draw percentage is higher for either one, I recommend scheduling for both.

Oh, and DonV, there may be one point of confusion in your original question. For hunts that require you to get a locking tag, like brown bear hunts, that applies to regular season hunts only. For a draw permit hunt, you do not need to purchase a locking tag. If you're awarded the hunt, that's all you need.

-Gr
    Not completely true, most draw bear hunts require that you purchase a locking tag. I had to have one for my DB470 bear hunt this past spring and know several others that have Kodiak tags that require a locking tag. Just an FYI.
    I do not put in for bufflao anymore due to the fact that I always put in for moose and if I were to draw both, then I would end up wasting a tag as I would more than likely not use the moose tag. I know most people do not think about that kind of stuff but it's important to me to use any tag that I draw.

Tag goes unused answered my question. I was asking if you drew but never hunted (and never paid for the tag) that sucks. I hear many moose permits go unused around Koyukuk due to expense.

I was just wondering. No plans to do so.

Never paid? Drawing hunts require that you have a current hunting license before you apply and you pay the drawing lottery fee with your application. The hunt permit is paid in advance. If you choose not to hunt you don't get a refund.

Default Can a

proxy hunter use a draw tag? In other words, if you have a tag you can't use, can you have someone else go get your meat for you?

Only if the tag holder is 70% disabled, blind or 65 years of age or older and you can only proxy hunt moose, caribou or deer.

Default Alternates are used for some draw hunts

A couple of years ago I got a phone call at work from Fish & Game in Bethel. He told me that a few of the drawing permit winners for hunting muskox on Nunivak Island had decided not to hunt and I was at the top of the alternate list. I didn't know there was an alternate list but was happy to know I was at the top of the list. He wanted to know if I was interested and could I go in the next 3 weeks. I went and got a beautiful bull. I wish F&G would do this for other hard to draw tags like buffalo and sheep.

I've had friends hunt Bison in Delta and have had great assistance from ADFG. I assumed they had an interest in population control. Would that apply to Nunivak's Musk Ox herd?

Default Population Control

Since the muskox on Nunivak have no predators other than humans, the F&G folks really do want every hunter to harvest an animal. The only way you don't get an animal is if you don't go or you elect not to shoot an animal for personal reasons.

Not a 100% sure but aren't unused tags built into the draw allotments much like the success rates?

I though so too Pupchow.

I also heard by PM unused tags are built into draw.

Also, as far as paying, trust me I do NOT pay, sure I buy a hunting license and then pay the $5 app fee but if I drew a moose tag I am pretty sure I would owe more!

Again I was just curious so no one flame me for applying and not being able to go.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default owe owe I PAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    I also heard by PM unused tags are built into draw.

Also, as far as paying, trust me I do NOT pay, sure I buy a hunting license and then pay the $5 app fee but if I drew a moose tag I am pretty sure I would owe more!

Again I was just curious so no one flame me for applying and not being able to go.

I know that i pay..... i think my last moose cost me at least as much as 9 cows from safe way....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast