Thread: Seward Silvers this weekend?

Default Seward Silvers this weekend?

Anyone have a recent report on Silvers out at Pony Cove? Wondering if the fish have spread out across the bay or if they are still schooled up. Any ideas on fishing them this weekend? Trying to decide between a trip to Seward or going out of Whittier.

Thanks

Was there this past weekend.

Fox island there are silvers to be had.

Pony cove we went out to sunday and did ok. 11 take downs and 6-7 came to the boat.. We trolled for much of the time out there ( 3 hours) and mooched for a few mintues and picked up one or two. The bite was on then off that quick. We found them anywhere 20-37 feet. 22 feet seemed to be the magic number.

We trolled herring with a blue and green hoochies
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    Anyone have a recent report on Silvers out at Pony Cove? Wondering if the fish have spread out across the bay or if they are still schooled up. Any ideas on fishing them this weekend? Trying to decide between a trip to Seward or going out of Whittier.

Thanks
    Unless you just want to run to Pony Cove I would start at Caines Head and work my way south. Silvers were caught at Callisto Head last weekend.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Pony last Monday (two days ago). Five people fished about 1.5 hours. Four fish hooked and 3 of them brought in. Seemed slow to me, but maybe was better before or after I left.

Default Chevell Is

Sunday 16 silvers, MOnday 18 silvers. I thought it was good fishing. a couple of doubles as well.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Were you trolling or mooching? I was hoping to get the kids into some mooching action. I'm nervous about trying to troll with the wife and 2 kids on the deck and me behind the wheel in the cab. I could have my wife steer the boat, but not in a crowded area.

Default We were Trolling

Although I prefer to Mooch when the action is there! My brother up visiting likes to troll. Right now either should produce. they went out again yesterday at Pony and caught 24, with the boat limit.

What size herring are you guys using?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I use

Green, some times whole, some times 1/2

I have been using the bait herring that Sportsman's Warehouse sells. It is a little small for Halibut so I started using it for trolling and mooching and it has been working great. 3 weekends in row and full limits all on one box. a lot cheaper than the flats of troll herring.

Last weekend I bought at Carrs down there the real small ones. they seemed to work...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Seward Silvers

We're headed down to the boat in Seward again this weekend as the fishing has been great. You can pretty much pick your spot between Callisto and Pony. Speaking of Herring bait. I prefer the ones they carry at The Fish House. Besides, there cheaper and you can pick your size. Best of luck and see ya out there.

Call: Naughti-Sea, Nauti-do.

Default Three Hole Bay?

Anything happening in Aialik Bay? I am thinking about heading there to do some boating with a little fishing thrown in this weekend. I realize that I do not need to run that far to fish but I enjoy that area. Just curious if there is any action in there. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    Anything happening in Aialik Bay? I am thinking about heading there to do some boating with a little fishing thrown in this weekend. I realize that I do not need to run that far to fish but I enjoy that area. Just curious if there is any action in there. Thanks in advance.
    I was there Wednesday. Flat as a glass tabletop in the morning. I don't know where to go there really, we just went around some rocks on the Northern Side and caught lings, Black Bass and Yelloweye. Good fun for the kids.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Tolman, I'll be out that way this weekend. Silvers were present two and three weekends ago, and was worth the time.

Default Give a shout

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Tolman, I'll be out that way this weekend. Silvers were present two and three weekends ago, and was worth the time.
    My boat is the Crystal Dawn. White over black.