Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airlines and rifles

Default Airlines and rifles

With all the new regulations that the airlines are now imposing as to weights and size limitiations for rifle cases. Does anyone see any potentail problems with using a breakdown rifle case and unbolting the barrel from the stock and shipping it this way? You could then for sure meet any oversize restrictions that any airlines could charge you for. Example, if the airline as a 62 inch lineal dimention max before they charge you for the extra bag. By using a Pelican( Not promoting this case ) as a breakdown case with the sizes of 36 x 14 x 6 which give you a lineal measurement of 56, meeting the regs.

Any thoughts?

Even with my large solid double case which is over size I have never had airlines charge me an additional fee. That goes for both Alaska Airlines and American. 6 trips total.

You shouldnt have a problem with a double hard rifle case alaska airlines has you check it in their oversized baggage area but they didnt charge extra. I have also flown luftansa and they didnt charge either. I would call your airline to be sure though, I know that alaska airlines website has an area for sporting items and they waive oversized fees for many items.

Default Baggage....

I am in the Air Nat'l Guard, but I work part time for the TSA at the North terminal Ted Stevens. I can tell you this. It all depends on the agent that is checking in your bag (rifle case). I see bags, especially fish boxes, that have the over weight, 51 lbs., written on them. I also was looking at the Pelican case too, I wanted the 1750 model, but after looking at the dimensions and seeing that the airlines are getting stricter, I am now considering the 1720 mdl. which will fall under the airlines restrictions. I dont want to pay for oversized bag some or everytime I travel w/ my rifles. This is first hand experiance w/ watching hundreds of bags a day come through. If you go oversized, get an agent that follows the rules, you will pay!

Default Again....

Re-reading your post, you will be fine w/ the case your asking about. Just be under the 62" rule and under 50 lbs. Steve

Default good idea...

I have a Cabelas bag that holds a gun case in the bottom, perhaps, 37" x 16" x 6" (or there abouts). I take my Marlin Guide gun and S&W 500 in that gun case. It works great for my use. And I also have the top of the bag to hold other gear. Great set up. Of course dependent on the size of your broken down rifle. The gun case, a Cabelas brand aluminum case, is made for the bag.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Case

Guys, sorry if I've led some to believe this post is about the case. Not so much as what would happen if they decided that the rifle un-bolted from the stock is not to regulations. My question is this a problem with the TSA or Airlines???? Having the rifle in two pieces??

Default No problem...

You can have the rifle in 15 pieces as long as you have it delacared at the airlines, put the declaration inside the case and then lock it. TSA will ask you to wait while it is ran through the X-ray and once it clears, youre good for the duration of your flight. You will be fine. Steve

Default No problems..

Just be sure ALL the parts are in the case. They don't care how many pieces it is in. It just has to be in an approved locked case, and of course, declared when you are checking in.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I continue to use the Tuffpak (http://www.tuffpak.com/retail/default.asp) without problem and without disassembling my rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Guys, sorry if I've led some to believe this post is about the case. Not so much as what would happen if they decided that the rifle un-bolted from the stock is not to regulations. My question is this a problem with the TSA or Airlines???? Having the rifle in two pieces??
    No problem, just verify it is unloaded in front of an X-Ray TSA tech and lock the case when your done. Next step, pick it up at baggage claim before someone else does...

Default usps

you can mail a fire arm to your self as long as you instruct anyone picking it up not to open it. The rule state you can mail it to yourself as long as you are going to legally hunt with it. The last time I sent one, May< it cost $44.00 including 1200.00 ins.

Please expand on that...

Are you talking about US Mail, Fed-EX or UPS.

How do you let the service know that you instructed the person picking it up not to open it.

I work for an airline, because of that, my baggage is not covered for theft or damage. I may do as you say in September for a trip to AK.

Thanks for more info,

One piece of advice on FedEx/UPS, don't make the same mistake I made and plan you're arrival on a Sunday, the FedEx location I picked isn't open for pick up on Sunday's. Luckily I only shipped a backpacking stove, but it could have been worse if I couldn't get access to my rifle. couldn't have gone to Sportsman's warehouse and replaced that in 15 mins!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    you can mail a fire arm to your self as long as you instruct anyone picking it up not to open it. The rule state you can mail it to yourself as long as you are going to legally hunt with it. The last time I sent one, May< it cost $44.00 including 1200.00 ins.

I TRIED to mail.... was a no go The rulles say that you can send and Recieve your own fire arm or that you may send a long gun to a FFL or the fire arm factory... I had to send my daughters rifle in for repair last May. Post office WOULD NOT take it... i HAD to ship it UPS.. cost me $45.00 from fairbanks to New england. that included $1000 insurance and second day air... If you walk into any post office now the sign says NO fire arms.... as a note.. all hand guns go FFL to FFL>>> regardless of who is pckng it up. If your are unsure walk into your Local gun dealer... explin your situation and he will explain the Federal and your state Laws

vince

vince, what post office were you at? when you ship your long gun to yourself through the USPS you are not to declare whats in the box. This is per the BATFs webpage. see B7-B10 http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

Default Shipping Guns

I have sent guns a couple of times to repair shops out of state. UPS will handle the task, but sometimes you have to go to the main store as the little franchises will not handle fire arms. Ammunition must go by truck for obvious reasons. Sending ammunition to AK is expensive, but less so than the pain of dealing with the airlines and TSA. Use UPS and no worries.

I shiped a Ruger 454 back to the factory for repair via Fed Ex. At first the lady wouldn't handle the transaction. I balked and she read her policies on the screen. A person may ship to a dealer or manufacter but not to an other person.

Ruger sent the now repaired and very nice revolver back via UPS. I was told by Ruger if they need to replace instead of repair they would need to send the new gun to a dealer.

The mentiion of mailing a rifle to your self below still puzzles me...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post

The mentiion of mailing a rifle to your self below still puzzles me...
    Then go to the BATF website and un-puzzle yourself. Do the research yourself rather than expecting someone to answer it for you. Geez.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Smile

My two cents worth, 3 years ago when planning a trip to POW, I first called the post office and they could not answer my question so they referred me to ATF. The agent in order to be sure he gave me the right answer asked his superviser. The question was could I remove the bolt from my rifle and send it through the mail as it would then be gun parts and carry the bolt with me on the plane and he said that was legal. I did not ask if I could then send the bolt in another package as it would also be parts, but I assume it would be legal. I repeat that this was 3 years ago and laws change so anyone interested in doing this should call their local ATF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast