Thread: The Weather and Your Hunting Plans??

Default The Weather and Your Hunting Plans??

Is weather affecting your hunting plans?

I am curious to see if others are concerned about all this rain we have been getting.

For those that don't know... Salcha River is under Flood Warning as well as Tanana River.

Salcha River
    http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...afg&gage=sala2

Tanana River
    http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...afg&gage=tafa2

Yukon is not all that night, but it has still gone up a foot...
    http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/rive...+River+Page%21

I am just asking because we are highly considering pushing back our hunting plans to consider our safety. We will be crossing quite a few creeks.

This is unfortunate because we are ready to rock and roll with this hunt (sheep) in the next 9 days. I have already pushed all my clients for these next couple of days. Safety first, though. If it's like this in our area, I can only imagine how much worse it's going to be remote.

Anyone else?
    Thoughts?
    Lurker.

Dont know much about AK, but here things are at least one month behind in the back country. I see snow fields up in the mountains that usually will be long gone by now that will last through to the next snow season.

I just fished Slough creek in YNP this last weekend and water was still high but fishable. Last year in late June the water was lower than now. The high country season has been cut from 3 months to 1-2 months.

Gotta lot of catching up to do

In short no. I'm not hunting sheep or moose in the areas you have highlighted.

I'm goat hunting near Valdez this year and the closure of the Richardson Highway at the Salcha River is going to keep me from scouting this weekend. We scouted the area last weekend and came across some creeks that were definitely swollen more than usual. If the rain keeps up, there is at least one creek I won't try crossing during hunting season.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Weather's not stopping me from hunting when I want to go. I am headed out for sheep on August 9th come hell or high water, no pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    In short no. I'm not hunting sheep or moose in the areas you have highlighted.
    Neither are we. I am just saying that our area that we live in is flooding like crazy and will affect other parts of the state. We won't be hunting near the Yukon River, whatsoever. Too low for sheep.
    Sheep Hunters never talk about where they hunt and same with me. I posted those area rivers because they are specific to Fairbanks, but I have noticed that when it rains like crazy here, other rivers that are not even close to Fairbanks start to rise dramatically.
    Lurker.

If you saw the radar picture on the 28th over the Fairbanks area you might rethink your statement.

Would hate to loose you.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Weather's not stopping me from hunting when I want to go. I am headed out for sheep on August 9th come hell or high water, no pun intended.

I feel the SAME exact way. I have moved and reversed my whole client schedule to make this hunt possible and for me to think that because of a couple of inches of rain we shouldn't go kind of makes me upset.
    It's hunting, though. You can't predict the weather.
    My husband will be the ultimate decision maker on this one, though. It's up to him.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    If you saw the radar picture on the 28th over the Fairbanks area you might rethink your statement.

Would hate to loose you.
    ?
    Post the link?
    Is there supposed to be a flood or are you being facetious?
    Lurker.

Looks like rivers have turned for the worse.
    Lurker.

I did not say it was flooding. I was looking at http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite....t=NCR&loop=yes

On the 28 and at that time it show major a rain storm by Fairbanks.

No i was not being facetious.

Personaly, I've enjoyed our cool damp summer & was really looking forward to that carrying through to the opening of archery moose down here Aug. 10. Unfortunately ourweather has taken a turn for the worse (warm & sunny) & they are predicting sunshine & low 70s the 1st 5 days of the 7 day season
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I did not say it was flooding. I was looking at http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite....t=NCR&loop=yes

On the 28 and at that time it show major a rain storm by Fairbanks.

No i was not being facetious.
    Wow! Thanks for sharing this with me. I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not. You can never tell when all of this is just text.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Personaly, I've enjoyed our cool damp summer & was really looking forward to that carrying through to the opening of archery moose down here Aug. 10. Unfortunately ourweather has taken a turn for the worse (warm & sunny) & they are predicting sunshine & low 70s the 1st 5 days of the 7 day season
    All I have to say is...
    "Give thanks with a greatful heart..."
    Yep.
    Be thankful for sun. (winks)
    Lurker.