Thread: First Time Alaska trip....HELP!!!

Default First Time Alaska trip....HELP!!!

Hello people!!
    You got a first time Alaskan fisherman here. I'm heading to Anchorage with my wife and best friend to meet his uncle and wife for what I hear is the trip of a life time on 8/15-22. We are camping out in Seward in a resort and doing some fishing from a boat over the weekend I believe for Halibot and Silvers. Definately doing some fly fishing in the Russian River and Kenai. I am taking my 6X fly rod and the uncle has the 9X rods for us to use. Should I take my bass spinning rods? What kind of rod should I bring? Or should I just wait til I get there to buy all the gear I need? Basically I am here for any and all help for this trip cause I've never seen or caught a Salmon in my life! I am a avid bass, walleye, pike, and trout fisherman though so I know a few tricks of the trade... Just drop me a line, but tell me what to put on the end of the line and maybe what size line to use. ha ha Any help, tips, sight seeing to do, or jusy say hello would be great. Thanks!!

Thumbs up Welcome Natee81

I think a good starting point would be to run searches on this forum database for items of interest you have. Looking for info on Silvers or Coho, run a search....Seek and you shall find. Theres a wealth of info from locals and visitors alike that you can draw from. Good luck and hope you have a safe and productive trip to AK.

Gary

Default Welcome...

Welcome to the forum. You live about 40 miles up Hwy 74 from me. I am from Rockingham. For Seward that time of year, you will be fishing for silvers. Caine's Head is a place you can hike to and fish from the beach. Never been there, but you may want to read up on it. Hike Lower Paradise Trail to the lake where I hear there is good fishing for grayling. If you want to get out on the Kenai, I would suggest getting a guide from Troutfitters in Cooper Landing. Good fishing on the Kenai and it is only about an hour to hour and a half from Seward. I really suggest a book, "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. It has 100 + maps and tells you where to go. Tons of ideas and clear instructions. It can be ordered here from the forum store in the fishing category. Also from Barnes and Noble. Be sure to shoot me a pm with any specific questions. I will help in any way that I can. Just get a list of questions and shoot me a pm, or email, danattherock@hotmail.com Below is a link to some pictures I got on the Kenai in May. When you open the below link, just click "slideshow" in the upper right. Below the Kenai pictures, I will include some pictures from some of our recent float trips in Alaska.

Kenai pics from late May...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7605295387576/

Alaska float trip pictures...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2114408...7603727567944/

Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Bring walleye, bass and pike gear. Spinners, Spoons and jigs- especially jigs! 1/4-1/2 oz mainly, marabou or plastics. They work! If spinnning, use 8-15# rated rod, 15# line, 6-8' length. Good luck!

Default lures for silvers...

Pink is the top color for silvers. Not to say that other things won't work, but most the time, it is pink. I like throwing them on 7 ft medium action rods with 14 lb Berkely Vanish line. Below are some suggestions for lures (for silvers). Call and talk to the folks at the campground/hotel you are staying at. They should be able to give you some ideas of where to fish. While having been to Seward a few times, I have not been during the time for silvers. I have heard that you can fish right from the beach there. Not much (if any) river fishing in Seward. That is certainly not the case elsewhere on the Kenai. You could have some exceptional fishing in other parts of the Kenai. Just depends on if you have time to get to other places. I would definitely consider a charter trip. Even a half day if nothing else. And not only for halibut, but also check into charters for silvers. Lots of boats at the small boat harbor. A google search will give you lots of charters in Seward you can check with for more specific info and suggestions.

Below is Alaska's most popular lure, the pixie. Pink/silver would be my suggestion in 1/2 ounce size.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...+fox&noImage=0

Below is the Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. I lived in Nome for a year in 2006 and this lure absolutely killed them. Look at pink bodies with silver blades. Also, orange or chartruese bodies with silver blades. Size #4 or #5.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...+fox&noImage=0

If you travel/fish much, look at the 4 piece pack rods by Cabelas. They make spinning and casting. I have a few of them for my wife (I fly fish mostly). We take them on our float trips each Fall. Mostly to NW Alaska rivers. Incredible rods. One is more expensive, and one is pretty cheap. Below are some links to the rods. Very nice rods and with Cabelas, they will replace them if they break. I have done that twice with the cheaper model they sell. So far (two float trips) I have not broke the more expensive model. I have the 7 ft medium model and it has handled silvers in the 10-12 lb range with ease.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...374&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...374&id=0053457
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.