Thread: Looking for Murphy... RE: S&W 29 / Cylinder Jam

Default Looking for Murphy... RE: S&W 29 / Cylinder Jam

Murphy (or anyone else who knows how to fix this...),

I found this page http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/71156.htm by doing a google search for fixing my "broken" S&W Model 29 / .44 MAG... the cylinder release is jamming and a pain in the neck to release, sometimes near impossible. The article said to contact you for instructions to fix...

Murphy or does anyone else know how to fix this?!?! Im at my wits end and it is nearly impossible to shoot the handgun now, need info asap!

Thanks to anyone who can help..

Best Regards,
    Jeff

Is the ejector rod screwed down tight? Last time I encountered those systems, it was backing out after a recent disassembly. My bad.

yea, its actually screwed down "too" tight, i cant get it broke free to disassemble to cylinder assembly. i had done it though, a couple years ago... and it seems the problem started after that. hmmmm.... lol

im wondering though, if it has anything to do with that... or like the article says, because of the heavy recoil causing a small burr.

any thoughts??

It either backed out or the front of the pin that releases the front lock is peened from heavy loads, jamming it in the hole. The pin is inside the ejector rod. Remove the crane and cylinder and unscrew the ejector rod. (Left hand thread.) remove the pin and file the peened area round again and deburr the edges. You might need a punch to get the pin out.
    An easy way to hold the rod is with a drill chuck. Hold the chuck in your hand, don't use the drill.

You can't get it out because you are turning it the wrong way!

The newer models dash 2's I think are left hand threads.

The front end of the ejector rod gets peened under recoil and flares out this jams the rod partially released forward and that's why the cylinder sticks and wont release the latch blocks the hammer so it won't cycle in this mode. Un screw and radius the end and reinstall. The problem is getting it unscrewed as it will bind from the damage. Make sure it is left hand threads and clamp with a thick piece of leather or similar and go for it.

This rod pushes against the front latch on the barrel and it must be softer than the small latching plunger which latches by being pushed rearward under spring pressure and it sticks it's nose into the hollow end of the knurled end of the ejector rod housing. The solid steel rod inside takes the beating and flares out. I have rounded these off and hardened the tip of them by heating to light red and dunking in cold oil. That will fix it.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    You can't get it out because you are turning it the wrong way!

deedeedee. i know which way it turns... thanks for the great help.

ughhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    .........ht red and dunking in cold oil. That will fix it.
    thank you for the detailed help murphy... ill give this a try tonight. ill let you know how it goes. -jd

In the words of Dr. Phil; How is this working out for you?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

hey guys, i fixed the s&w .44mag. i think the cylinder pin was super tight due to a) the time since last removing it, and b) the heavy recoil just jams it on tighter.

anyhow, i fully disassembled the .44 and found the forward pin assembly to have a much wider "bell" than it should (on the very front, business end of the gun). there appeared to be a manufacturers slight widening at the end to help keep the larger spring on, but this widening had over time mushroomed larger than the bore of the cylinder pin/tube assembly... so it was a chore to remove.

light sanding for a few minutes all around the very tip and it slid back in and i was able to remove it instantly, vice versa, reassembled the gun and fires like a champ, cycling correctly. no hangups, no lockups, and the cylinder opens flawlessly each and every time like it should.

thanks for all the help guys. sorry for the delay in responding, i havent been online all week. weve been planning our move out to montana, leaving in around 2 weeks. this baby is my favorite, and will be gracing my hip in her molded leather holster soon. glad i got it all fixed!

thanks again!

I'm glad it worked out for you. Don't you just love it when you fix your own stuff.