Thread: Lures for Lakers?

Default Lures for Lakers?

I don't generally do too much fishing - can't handle the crowds on the salmon streams. I'm mostly a hunter. On my sheep hunt this year, I will be dropped at a lake that has lake trout in it. If the sheep hunt goes well in the early stages, I would like to be able to try and hook up with a laker or two. I have a little Diawa Mini Spin system that breaks down into a back pack case I plan to take.

Soooo, my stupid questions are...

1. Is this enough pole to use?

2. What lures or bait should I take? Any suggestions on types and sizes. I was assuming some Meps and rooster tails in a mid size.

Thanks for your input.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Lakers are pretty powerful fish...even a 2 pounder will battle hard...stick with light/medium action rods and 8lb. line at a minimum.

As for bait I`d use herring or guts from something. For lures...the Mepps Cyclops in a variety of sizes, Daredevils, and FSTs work well. Slow retreive near bottom or jigging if you have the time. I (friends too) have never caught one on a spinner and I`ve been fishing remote Laker lakes for years.

I use herring, Rapala magnums, and daredevils. Last year I caught a 30 inch laker on a 1 oz. red and white daredevil.

Where will you be fishing and at what time?

Jigging with white buck tail jigs tipped with a 3" twister tail or Berkley Gulp Minnows in 3 or 4 inch works well. Big spoons such as Luhr Jensen 1/2 waves in the larger sizes, DaredevleHusky Devles and the larger Len Thompsen's along with K15/16 Kwikfish and T50 and up Flatfish are good trolling baits. Run the Kwikfish/Flatfish with large bottom bouncers, snap weights or banana weights (3 to 6 ounces) to get them deep. If you have a medium heavy baitcaster with 20# line this would be a good setup.
    For casting a 10 or 12# rig wold be best. For casting 3/4 to 1 ounce Dardevles, Len Thompsen's and Pixies work well.
    Depending on your timing the fish could be moving shallow to spawn and will be found around shoals in 8 to 15 feet of water. If you are going in August look for deeper humps (40 to 60 feet) with dropoffs into 80 or 100 feet or deeper.
    I have caught hundreds of lakers on spinners while fishing shallow for Grayling. My favorite spinners are #3 Vibrax in all gold or all silver. My biggest laker while fishing shallow Grayling is 16 pounds on a 5 foot ultra light rod on 4 pound test. It took 1/2 an hour to 45 minutes to land and we had to chase it about 1/4 mile with the boat.

If you are fishing them in september or october the best way to get them, in my opinion, is go night or early morning fishing from shore. You just rig up a herring and just let it sit on a ROCKY bottom in 20-30 feet of water. If you reel in and there is weeds on your hook, you should probably move.

Lakers usually hang around the bottom and I have found that jigging a sliver spoon or pearl Swedish pimple to be effective with a super braid and a musky rod. The best jig is a swim beetle but I'd bet it would be difficult to find one in Ak. If you cant find them you can get them here. This a little bait shop near my house. The owner is a good guy and he runs a good business. http://www.outdoorallure.com/product...flybeetle.html

They are designed to have herring fillets clipped on but lake shiners work also as does plastic twist tails.

Good Luck

Cbul

Washburn Wi

Default sounds fun

I fish em every year and anything with neon/bright green or yellow for some reason just knocks em dead. For me anyway. Thats plenty of pole you just might have to beef up ur line and play em a bit.

I attached this pic of my Dad on a fly out drop sheep hunt back in the 80's. It was 12 lbs. He caught quite a few on that trip. He also got his ram.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. We will be there in early to mid August. I'm going to take a heavier rod and go do some shopping for tackle. I appreciate your help.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3