Thread: Flashers

Default Flashers

Ok we have been talking about trolling speed now lets talk about what flashers people like for silvers.

I get differnt name brands but stick to med or small size..

Colors.

I like green with the metalic

Black and white

green/Chartruse

Pink and with the metalic
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Ok we have been talking about trolling speed now lets talk about what flashers people like for silvers.

I get differnt name brands but stick to med or small size..

Colors.

I like green with the metalic

Black and white

green/Chartruse

Pink and with the metalic

I was thinking something totally different I like my flashers, they are big size

Quote Originally Posted by wldboar View Post
    I was thinking something totally different I like my flashers, they are big size
    HERE WE GO.................... LMFAO

I`m running 'Cop Cars' black/white/flash on one side the other just white...works better than chrome IMO. Never had great luck with multicolored ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglette View Post

Anglette, I just couldn't resist. Probably gonna get in trouble (again). But on a serious note, medium size flasher, green/metallic.

Alaska Gray, you should try getting some purple ones, I hear they work very well

Alaska Gray, you should try getting some purple ones, I hear they work very well
    especially the ones that spin in circles, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Default Flashers

I like to fight the fish and not the gear so I just use cut herring. It has always worked good for me.

Randy

White flashers and two hook mooching rig...

... and I've started hooking the flasher to the downrigger weight so that when released, the flasher is free of the fishing line and you get the full fight of the silver. But, you gotta bring in the weight and the flasher attachment line ASAP or you get a wildly bad tangle and lost fishies.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Quote Originally Posted by Anglette View Post

Darn she threw the bait out so I have to bite on this one. Wildboar here comes a special PM for you..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We have just always used the plain silver flashers. The fairly big ones. They seem to work well. Im going to try out cowbells this year just to see what happens. I suspect they will work pretty good, but probably not any better than a regular dodger.

Default Flashers

I use a diver, then a silver flasher and then a white hoochie!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I went out a bought 4 flashers last night. Green, chrome, blue and one was purple for wildboar when she comes on the boat. Though the flasher is not as big as hers
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I went out a bought 4 flashers last night and one was purple for wildboar when she comes on the boat. Though the flasher is not as big as hers

Ha ha. I will let you take my picture with the purple flasher and the fillet board, ripndrag brought up for me.

Ha ha. I will let you take my picture with the purple flasher and the fillet board, ripndrag brought up for me.
    you and that fillet board. Give it to me. You have to have fish to clean on it. I will use it when I catch fish with the purple flasher.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

you and that fillet board. Give it to me. You have to have fish to clean on it. I will use it when I catch fish with the purple flasher.

Or I can use it to beat you with, if you use that purple flasher before I get to!!

Or I can use it to beat you with, if you use that purple flasher before I get to!!
    Bring it on Sister.....
    Next trip silvers in whitter you and I will have a bet for the biggest fish.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default trolling

All good info on flashers and rigs... how about distance behind boat, and weights if a guy doesnt have down riggers? Any suggestions.?

Some thoughts:

I'm partial to the rotating flashers - the Hot Spot and all of its post-patent clones. For color, I like the oldschool original chartreuse body with silver textured mylar or red/orange body with silver textured mylar. Some of the flashier prismatic sides work fine, too.

For downriggers, I have no hard and fast rules, but my flasher ends up trailing my cannonball by 15-20 feet. I prefer the large size 11" flashers for downriggers.

For divers, I use the smaller 8" flashers, 3-4 feet behind the diver.

I don't particularly care for dodgers (Les Davis Herring Dodger and clones) - they restrict your troll speed. They roll when trolled faster than 1.5 mph or so. I like to troll 2.5-3 mph or more, and the hot-spot type flashers allow that.

For leader lengths - if the lure has no action of its own (hoochie), I keep the leader length to 3x the flasher length (30-36" for big flashers). For spoons/apexes/bait, I stretch that out to 5-6' or more.

You can be a VERY productive silver troller with a diver/small flasher/hoochie combination - your gear resets quicker than a downrigger and can be equally productive. Don't forget to try some small spoons - the "coho killer" is just that, and the smaller coyote spoons are great. Apexes too. Try the spoons alone behind a diver for a change. A larger, 5.5" apex was very good to us two weeks ago trolled alone 6' behind a diver. Spoons/apexes are forgiving when it comes to troll speed, and can generally be trolled fairly fast.

One place where I will use dodgers is behind a diver, if only fishing divers. They seem to work very well that way, if troll speed is kept below 2mph.

For silvers, I think it's less what you use, and more that you present it properly. If your setup looks like a train wreck, it probably is. Keep your gear clean, trim your knots, don't connect lures to leaders with a big swivel (tie direct instead), spend the dough for ball bearing swivels for those rods towing flashers, choose somewhat boring, fishy patterned hoochies, trim 80% of the twinklies off your twinkle skirts if you use them under hoochies, sharpen your hooks, etc. and so on.

If you choose to tow plugs (tomic, etc.), good on you, don't go crazy on size (4" is deadly), troll fast, and let these 40' or more back from the downrigger release. They aren't practical to use behind a diver, as they need a long 30-40' leader to "swim" back and forth as they like to do. Downriggers only, or flatline if you're not in a bunch of folks. That can be fun - a silver hitting a flatlined plug 100' behind the boat, swimming along a couple feet below the surface. Don't do this at Pony...

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Some thoughts:

I'm partial to the rotating flashers - the Hot Spot and all of its post-patent clones. For color, I like the oldschool original chartreuse body with silver textured mylar or red/orange body with silver textured mylar. Some of the flashier prismatic sides work fine, too.

For downriggers, I have no hard and fast rules, but my flasher ends up trailing my cannonball by 15-20 feet. I prefer the large size 11" flashers for downriggers.

For divers, I use the smaller 8" flashers, 3-4 feet behind the diver.

I don't particularly care for dodgers (Les Davis Herring Dodger and clones) - they restrict your troll speed. They roll when trolled faster than 1.5 mph or so. I like to troll 2.5-3 mph or more, and the hot-spot type flashers allow that.

For leader lengths - if the lure has no action of its own (hoochie), I keep the leader length to 3x the flasher length (30-36" for big flashers). For spoons/apexes/bait, I stretch that out to 5-6' or more.

You can be a VERY productive silver troller with a diver/small flasher/hoochie combination - your gear resets quicker than a downrigger and can be equally productive. Don't forget to try some small spoons - the "coho killer" is just that, and the smaller coyote spoons are great. Apexes too. Try the spoons alone behind a diver for a change. A larger, 5.5" apex was very good to us two weeks ago trolled alone 6' behind a diver. Spoons/apexes are forgiving when it comes to troll speed, and can generally be trolled fairly fast.

One place where I will use dodgers is behind a diver, if only fishing divers. They seem to work very well that way, if troll speed is kept below 2mph.

For silvers, I think it's less what you use, and more that you present it properly. If your setup looks like a train wreck, it probably is. Keep your gear clean, trim your knots, don't connect lures to leaders with a big swivel (tie direct instead), spend the dough for ball bearing swivels for those rods towing flashers, choose somewhat boring, fishy patterned hoochies, trim 80% of the twinklies off your twinkle skirts if you use them under hoochies, sharpen your hooks, etc. and so on.

If you choose to tow plugs (tomic, etc.), good on you, don't go crazy on size (4" is deadly), troll fast, and let these 40' or more back from the downrigger release. They aren't practical to use behind a diver, as they need a long 30-40' leader to "swim" back and forth as they like to do. Downriggers only, or flatline if you're not in a bunch of folks. That can be fun - a silver hitting a flatlined plug 100' behind the boat, swimming along a couple feet below the surface. Don't do this at Pony...
    Great post. Good info you gave us.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK