Thread: Advice for a new hunter?

Default Advice for a new hunter?

What is a good middle of the road rifle for someone new to hunting? I would like to hunt for Moose, Caribou, Elk, maybe bear. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated...
    Last edited by "Ricky"; 07-29-2008 at 15:33. Reason: jacked up paste of question

Quote Originally Posted by "Ricky" View Post
    What is a good middle of the road rifle for someone new to hunting? I would like to hunt for Moose, Caribou, Elk, maybe bear. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated...
    What's the budget? Are you asking about caliber? I'd go with .300RUM

Default Popular

Stepa - I think that you are a little off base with a RUM, thats not middle of the road and can be tough for find ammo.

You should look at something like a 30-06, 308 or the 338 at the biggest and stay with a bolt action.

Budget is reasonable. The main question is the caliber of firearm that could be used for the animals listed (just one firearm).
    Last edited by "Ricky"; 07-29-2008 at 15:46. Reason: misleading/clarification

A .300 is a good way to go, you can knock over just about anything and you won't have to worry about overkill.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Welcome to the Forum. We have this discussion about once a week. As far as I can tell no real clear cut answer. Seems like consensus is " biggest rifle you can shoot well". I would add biggest one you will routinely practice with. I don't believe there is such a thing as overkill, kinda like too much fun. If you are woried about excess meat loss pick your shots.

As Dave said it is more what you are comfortable shooting, you could have a .416 and if you pull your shot anticipating recoil and it will be less effective than a well placed shot with a .308. See if your friends have a rifle that you could shoot to see what it feels like to you. I personally like .300 win mag, large selection of factory ammo, easy to find, and more than effective.

Something in .30 caliber is pretty much the minimum (.30-06, .308, etc) above that, the recoil you are willing to put up with is the limiting factor.

The individual rifle does a lot to determine how much recoil you feel. If you are willing to carry a 9 pound rifle, you may be able to handle a larger caliber than if you go with a 5.5 lb ultra light.

First, I would determine how you plan to hunt. Are you looking at strictly float hunting and ATV based hunts, or do you plan to do a long distance walk-in? If you are never going to have to carry your rifle for any distance, get a 12 pound .375 H&H, if you plan to do a lot of hiking, then you should consider a lighter rifle, but will need to consider recoil more.

First, choose a weight range for the rifle, then consider the recoil you can absorb and still shoot well, and then your caliber choice will be narrowed down considerably.

30.06 large range of bullet weights and bullet quality, It will take all the animals listed with no problem given proper bullet placement. You can get ammo anywhere. Recoil is not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Stepa - I think that you are a little off base with a RUM, thats not middle of the road and can be tough for find ammo.

You should look at something like a 30-06, 308 or the 338 at the biggest and stay with a bolt action.
    Well, I went with .300RUM because of its versatility, what else gives you 3 calibers in one? Power levels..1- 30-06, 2- .300WinMag, 3 - .300RUM. If this question was asked in a pub, I'd think about tough times to get the ammo, however, it was asked online. There are quite a few places that sell ammo online.

You can get Remington 700 in that caliber for roughly 7 bills. Add a decent scope and some rings and you're looking at once one rifle that would do it all for under $1500.

.30-06, if you want to step up to a magnum, .338wm.

Default great question

Every answer above has a good point. You might try reading thru and jot down the points and them list what pertains to you and your hunting plans, pro's and con's.
    Also one other point is you can get a brake on a heavyer hitting rifle and tame it down to a good shooter. I like the 338 win mag as there are factory rounds rangeing from 180gr to250gr, very flat shooter and good for everything in Alaska. Also it doesn't really need a brake if recoil doesn't effect you too much.