Thread: Need Info on Upper Big SU Float

Default Need Info on Upper Big SU Float

I am rafting the Big su in August with an 18ft aire. I want to know how the float is from Gold Cr. down to Talkeetna. Are there any dangers that I should be ready for. i.e.-sweepers or class IV's. I have been a rafting guide for 10 years but have never been on this part of the river and want to make sure that I am ready for anything. Thanks for the advice

It's a super mellow trip. Nothing really to note but a few rocks midchannel that you'll see with plenty of time. The main channel is pretty much void of any sweepers or obsticals on a normal year. The hardest part is getting back over to Talkeetna if the Su is doing anything weird. I haven't been on the water since 2006 and I'm not sure how the channel is doing to get into Talkeetna. Call one of the rafting companies and they should be able to tell you. Worst case scenario is you end up at the Big Su bridge at the Parks Highway and you'll have to hitch hike back to Talkeetna.

Are you shuttling a car or using the railroad's flagstop service to Gold Creek?

I am going to take the flagstop train to Gold Cr. I am actually going to take out at willow cr.

Is the hunting any good up in this area for moose. I will be just south of Devil's canyon.

There are periodically some moose along the way, but it gets hit hard by all the jet boat guys. That, topped with the fact that moose populations in the western part of unit 13 are already bad, don't make it a very popular float hunt.