Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30-06 for Moose ???

Question 30-06 for Moose ???

Hello all.
    I currently have a 10 day Moose hunt scheduled with Teslin Outfitters out of Whitehorse Yukon this September. Its my first trip of this caliber and to say Im anxious is an understatement.
    I ran into a dilema last week when I was out doing more practice shooting. I had planned on taking my Remington 300 ultramag, but something went wrong with the scope and I can not get the gun to shoot right. My trip is scheduled for Sept 20th to the 30th. I don't have the time or money to figure out whats up with it so I'm going to take my 30-06. I'm very comfortable shooting this gun out to 300 yards. I currently shoot a Federal Fusion 165 grain shell/bullet. This particular load shoots the most accurate out of all the loads I've tried, and I've shot all the Winchester, Federal, Remington loads. I've only shot Whitetail and Mule deer with this load, but was quite impressed. I drilled a Muley buck directly through the front shoulder and it passed thru with quite a large hole in the rib cage on the other side.
    Will this Federal Fusion shell get the Job done or do you reccomend spending the time and money trying to find another load. The guy at the range reccomened shooting a 165 Nosler partition bullet, which Federal makes in its Vital SHok Line of shells, but my past experience was not as positive as the Fusions. And unfortunatly, the range is an 1-1/2 hour drive and between gas and practice ammo, it gets very expensive. If that is what is reccommended though, so be it. I've got too much invested in this trip to screw it up.

30-06 is too small for anything in AK except maybe the rabbits.... Truthfully though most people shoot premium bullets in the 180grn range for moose out of their 30-06's. A-frames, Parts, Barnes tsx are common rounds though I would bet that the old Core-lokt's have taken as many or more than all the others...

LOL, Here we go again.

A 30.06 is plenty of gun for moose. I've never used the Fusion ammo before but if you are comfortable and accurate with that type of ammo then I would recommend you stay with it.

Once you get above a certain calibre it's mostly about shot placement anyhow.

Whole trainloads of moose died at the hands of 30-06 before modern moose figured out they weren't supposed to die from anything but a magnum. All you have to do is find an old fashioned moose.

Seriously, it will do great and I'd have no qualms about your load. It's a bunch hotter than the 175 grain Hornadys a friend uses out of his 7x57mm, and he's 10 for 10 on moose with that load. All one shot kills. Sounds like you know it and shoot it well. What could be "better?"

For Yukon moose consider the Nosler partition in 180 grain, since you're trying a new load anyway, go with the heavier bullet. Lots of moose have been killed with the .06, no worries there. Easy to get factory ammo for the .06 with 180 grain Noslers.

The Fusion will work but these are what I would reccomend with the 06 and moose. Federal offers the 180 grain Nosler Partition and the 180 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Remington offers the 180 grain A-Frame. Those are all good bullets that will ensure adequate penetration. The Fusion will probably work fine in a perfect world behind the shoulder broadside shot but I would lean a little more towards a bullet that holds together a bit more.This guys demise came with no qualms back in the day from a 30-06 and a 180 grain Partition.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    For Yukon moose consider the Nosler partition in 180 grain, since you're trying a new load anyway, go with the heavier bullet. Lots of moose have been killed with the .06, no worries there. Easy to get factory ammo for the .06 with 180 grain Noslers.

Good idea here.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

If you're worried about the 06 take the scope off and mount it on your 300. Cheap fix except you'll have to go to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    If you're worried about the 06 take the scope off and mount it on your 300. Cheap fix except you'll have to go to the range.

Bingo....Or any of the bullets mentioned in this thread will work well.Think of the many moose harvested with Win Power Points Rem Core Loss ect before all these super bullets came about..

Your 30-06 will be great with premium or without premium on moose..Enjoy your moose hunt..

There should be no cheap fix for this fella, he's got mucho $$$ invested to come hunt here and the price of the 1 bullet he shoots his high priced quarry with, should be of no relevance!

Go with what you are used to. Yes ideally, a 180-200 gr. premium bullet would be my preference, but with proper placement, the moose will not know the difference. The more you worry about it, the more likely you'll overthink the shot. Just do it, and enjoy the trip of a lifetime!

Yes I do agree..

I load the good stuff.But as alway's it come's down to shot placement...I rather guide a guy using Win Power Points who can shoot than someone shooting TSX with less than desirable accuracy...But thats me.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    30-06 is too small for anything in AK except maybe the rabbits.... Truthfully though most people shoot premium bullets in the 180grn range for moose out of their 30-06's. A-frames, Parts, Barnes tsx are common rounds though I would bet that the old Core-lokt's have taken as many or more than all the others...

I beg to differ. I shoot a Weatherby Mark V in .30-06 and you should see the holes the go through animals with that baby. I shoot 150 grain Barnes X Bullets. I've seen the lungs go flying out of the other side of caribou, and they'll go straight through moose.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Pick your shot

You have a good setup man. Just take your time and pick your shot. My kids have killed moose with a 243 and a 308 with loaded down 150s. Went clear through. Big fast bullets don't make up for poor shooting. Shoot what you know and shoot straight and you will have moose on the ground.

Don't change a thing!

You have a rifle you're comfortable with and shoot well in a caliber that is more than enough.

A well placed, bonded core, 166 grain bullet such as your Fusion will kill any moose alive in short order.

(I would recommend some Butler Creek flip-up scope covers--hunting in the far north is usually a wet affair)

Use what you shoot best. Personally I prefer the 180s. But hitting the vitals is the most important thing. Have used Speer 125gr TNTs once, 80 yard shot right behind the ear, dead Moose. So don't worry about it, just make a good shot.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Thumbs up

+1 for the 180 gr. 30.06

I have taken several moose with my 'ol trusty Remington 721 30.06 shooting 180 Winchester silvertips (). Nothing fancy, cheap and easy to find. The gun patterns really well out to 300 yds and has knocked down 5 moose, a black bear, and a bunch of caribou with one round (a few more moose and a couple of black bears with 2-3 rounds....).

No worries, have a GREAT trip!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Our moose camp last year was typical. The crowd changes a bit, but the calibers are pretty much the same. By my count in 2007 we had one .338 and five 30-06's. As usual, the old '06's did all the talking. My family has been knocking moose over since the 1930's and only a couple of them were with premium bullets. Never lost one due to bullet failure that I know. If you get a chance to sight it with 180 gr of some type, I'd go for it. Otherwise, have fun and don't worry about the rifle.

Yk

Three years ago my then 12 year old son was going on his first moose hunt. All summer long he'd been getting calls from girls, sometimes 10 times a day and it had my wife spooked. She kept telling me to have "the talk" with him 'cuz you know how those girls are, "they make you do things you don't want to do". Really, I never met any of them...but I digress.

Anyway, a few days before we leave my wife says "you're going to have him up there, just you and him for two weeks (got to miss a week of school) so you make sure and have "the talk" with him. Long story short, we fly into the gravel bar in the rain, set up camp and spend the next two days staying dry in front of the wood stove in the tent. On the third day it cleared up enough to climb the hill behind the camp and break out the binoculars.

We spend about an hour looking but don't see anything so I say "XXXXXX, it's time for the talk". He says "you mean the sex talk, dad?" I say "yep" and he says "ok, go ahead". The talk goes well but I want to end it on a good note so I say "dude, there's two things you gotta know. First, dancing is a part of the mating ritual. If you want to mate you gotta dance. Second, you're going to do stupid things. He says "like what"? I say "you have no idea, something bigger than you is going to be making your decisions. It's like these moose we're hunting, they'll do stupid things like walk out in front of you and watch you shoot them 'cuz it's mating season". The talk's over here and he says he's hungry so we head back to camp for luch.

Not an hour after finishing "the talk" we're sitting in lawn chairs on the gravel bar when a 60" moose steps out of the trees and watches my son shoot it three times before going down. I walk over to my son who's shaking like a leaf and say "see what I mean, that $4!+ will get you killed".

Oh, forgot to mention he was shooting a 30.06. 180 yards shot, 150 grain Hornaday light magnums.

Default Point well-made!

That was very entertaining Tenbuck!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast