Thread: What'er the best type of waders?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default What'er the best type of waders?

My wife and I, are kind of new to waders. We've been Hip Boot people.

We have the neoprene, stocking foot kind, and they are warm and fine for walking.

BUT, cleaning all that sand and dirt out of the boots, is a pain, also the time required for on and off, so I was wondering if there are any downsides, or advantages, to the kind with boots attached.

AND, same with the lightweight waders, are they durable, or cold? Advantages, Disadvantages? etc.

That's all the issues I can think of. There may be more.

Thanks for any help on this.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

neoprene is like wearing a wetsuit. try breathables, and you can wear your sweats under them. They are noisy, but work real well, and when you have to "GO" , there isnt the struggle of trying to peel them off in time before you have an accident. They run around $85 & up, depending on how much you are going to use them, depends on the price you will pay.

Default Plethura

There is a plethura of wader types. I saw some at the fly shop in anchorage on Lake Otis - they were 750 DOLLARS.........OMFG - I bout shat meself. Guess that I did pay 200 smackers for some cabelas neo's 10 years or so ago -

I think that the biggest benefit to a neo with a boot is that they are easier to put on than the bootie/shoe/gator design.

As far as breathables - there are a lot of different kinds and the cheaper you go the easier they fall apart.

I also have 2 pair of canvas - 1 hip and 1 chest - they are great for beatin the brush whether you are duck or moose hunting or fishing brush laden creeks - if you are worried about poking holes in em - Canvas are for you.

The lighter the material the cooler - or colder - or more frozen you will be. I have a really lightweight pair of rubber non-breathables that I wore on the Kenai last weekend - a guy can get pretty cold pretty quick when it is 52 degrees outside and raining while standing in 48 degree water for hours on end.

The bootfoot waders are not as comfortable as stocking foot models. You get much better support and fit with stocking foot and wading shoes. However, your feet will be warmer in boot foot, if that is an issue. Boot foot models are easier on/off, but I don't think its worth it.

The lightweight waders are not durable, unless you really spend some money on them. They also are not nearly as warm as neoprene. That being said, I wear lightweight breathables because they are so much more comfortable. If I have to do any amount of walking, neoprene is miserable, heavy, hot, restrictive, etc. My lighweight waders are similar to wearing rain gear, not bad at all.

I have a heavy pair of boot foot neoprene I use for duck hunting, but not when the weather is warm.

I have noticed that for whatever reason I don't have the seam leaks with the breathables that i do with neoprene. However, I get more holes. Oh well... death, taxes, leaky waders.

My .02: you sacrifice durability and warmth with lightweight breathables, but i think the comfort more than makes up for it.

i had the neoprenes for a couple years. i had to upgrade this year cause they started leaking, pretty bad. those (walmart-Alaskans) were cheap and did the job however i completly understand both the sand issue and the getting them on and off issue. did not the waders you got come with a pair of like cuffs? i believe they are what you want to put on around your ankle over the boot top to help keep sand out. i never used mine. i picked out a nice new set this year, breathables with boots attached. i went with a size bigger boot so it is easier to get them on and off and they are awesome compared to getting wet neoprenes on off, i am so much happier now.

Costco had Allen breathables a while back that were about 50-60$. I dont know if they still have them or not. I bought two pair and have busted a ton of brush moose and bear hunting in them without any rips so far...They are neoprene sock feet and I was pretty amazed how comfortable they are, they are kinda loud though. I've even climbed a few spruce trees in them without any rips...I just pull the insoles out of an old pair of hiking boots and you get pretty good ankle support that way...

i like the ones at walmarts, they are good!
    Semper Fi!

I have a pair of Simms G3's with their Aqua Stealth Studded Guide Boots and they are by far the best waders I have ever owned, bar none. They do come with a pretty hefty price tag though.

Look at the Cabelas Guide Tech waders. They come in boot foot and stocking foot models, are breathable and being from Cabelas have awesome customer service. They have been getting good reviews also. The model with the boot foot is actually an attched boot similar to the boots worn over stocking foot waders and offers more support than the regular boot foot models. For a couple of hundred you get an excellent pair of waders with great waranty and customer service.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...005&id=0023556

Default Dan Bailey's

Check out the features on Dan Bailey's very durable breathables. Velcro built-in waist belt, velcro gaiters. Decent price.

http://www.dan-bailey.com/

jim

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Thanks to everyone. Iíve got some valid things to consider, now.

The Neoprenes (Hodgemans) we have, do have cuffs. Mine is sewed on and hers is separate. They help keep the sand outta the boots, but it gets in the laces pretty bad.

I guess we can live with the sand etc. without too much trouble, fishing in a normal stream. Itís when we are dip netting and our wet boots pick up all the dry sand when we walk back through it with our fish, nets, etc. The boots take a long time to dry, and clean compared to hip boots.

Thanks again.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I like the neos when I am in fast water just for the floatation aspect. But truthfully, I rarely get out of the boat to fish anymore I guess I just got spoiled. I spend most of my time baiting everyone elses lines, getting their fish off, ect...

Neoprene or breathable only way to go is with LL Bean, no questions asked return policy, they leak you get a new pair, what else could you ask for.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I bought some Caddis breathable waders at Freddie's that have some nice features. Neoprene booties, attached rock guards, reinforced knees and back, belt loops, and perhaps best of all, water proof zipper
    NRA Lifetime Member