Thread: Chances of dipnetting extended beyond 7/31?

Default Chances of dipnetting extended beyond 7/31?

I know the season has been extended in past years and I'm wondering if this season might be extended due to the late run of fish. Any opinions?

Default If I had to guess

I'd have to say the chances of a Kenai PU extension beyond the 31st are somewhere between slim and none. Kenai counts are well off pace for the escapement goals and practically the whole central district commercial fishery is shut down at least temporarily until some fish make the river. The PU fishery has already had a pretty good opportunity this year, given the low run size and the fact that the commercial guys are shut down. Good news though - there are a couple days yet and fair numbers of fish were counted in the last couple days.

Default I doubt it

I highly doubt that they would extend the dipnetting season since they didn't extend it last year when the huge slug of fish showed up late. It was closed early by emergency order then opened for a few days at the end of July but not extended into Aug.

Default ZERO Chance

Check the EO's - Lower Kenai gettin shut down on Friday

Time to shut it down they say. stick a fork in it, its done!

Default Fun with numbers

In 2006, only 110,000 fish were counted on the sonar by July 21.
    In 2007, only 180,000 fish were counted on the sonar by July 21.
    This year there were 270,000 fish by that date. Then it died, and now only 400,000 fish have passed the sonar since July 1.

That's only 130,000 fish since July 21 this year.
    In 2006, though, between July 22 and July 31 more than 525,000 fish were counted.
    In 2007, the same period, 375,000 fish were counted. That's 150,000 less fish, or 15,000 a day less than in 2006.

After July 31, it got interesting the past couple years: in 2006 another 645,000 fish were counted on sonar between August 1 and August 21. In 2007, though, only 300,000 fish were counted between August 1 and August 21. (No idea how many of these might have been the early silvers.)

This year is shaping up to be horrendous. I haven't looked at numbers before 2005 (an incredible year, with 850,000 fish in the river just in July), but you have to go back a ways to see something this bad, I think.

The problem with extending dipping past August 1, according to ADF&G, is that you start netting silvers. I'm just hoping there's a big school of reds and another one of silvers moving toward the inlet so the river fishing will be good in August.

Default Kenai REDS

yes if they don't want the silvers dipnetted in the river but with the runs of silvers they have had in Cook inlet the last few years, I can see it, but looking at it in the inlet it is OKfor the big boats out in the inlet get a large amount as BY PASS catch that is OK so where is it fair they should move AF&G out of Kenai area an move it into Anchorage so they won't be browbeatem by thoes big boys [com.] an open the Com. fishery so they can get THERE FISH NOT OURS MINE BUT THERE FISH

SID

Default Have you ever heard of a capital letter; a period?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    yes if they don't want the silvers dipnetted in the river but with the runs of silvers they have had in Cook inlet the last few years, I can see it, but looking at it in the inlet it is OKfor the big boats out in the inlet get a large amount as BY PASS catch that is OK so where is it fair they should move AF&G out of Kenai area an move it into Anchorage so they won't be browbeatem by thoes big boys [com.] an open the Com. fishery so they can get THERE FISH NOT OURS MINE BUT THERE FISH

SID
    Let me guess, you got low grades in grammar and spelling.

ADFG does a good job considering all that they need to balance. And no, Anchorage folks don't own everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post

SID
    WHAT??????

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Let me guess, you got low grades in grammar and spelling.

ADFG does a good job considering all that they need to balance. And no, Anchorage folks don't own everything.
    Dude, I got his meaning. Why be a ass? I did not go to high school. Does that mean I should not be allowed to post here. I get pissed when people make me feel stupid, dont you?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Default my thought also

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    Dude, I got his meaning. Why be a ass? I did not go to high school. Does that mean I should not be allowed to post here. I get pissed when people make me feel stupid, dont you?
    My dad did not go to high school and he was one wise dude. He could build anything and could see right for wrong without any problem.

Sometimes our society places a value on intelligence as defined by IQ tests or graduate degrees. Not to degrade those who have degrees - I have two but there are other ways to measure intelligence - for example one can have intelligence in a physical sense, musical intelligence, and others. I think a person named Gardner, who is well known in the education field, wrote a book about the seven intelligences.

But enough of this - lets get back to the topic.

Default Dude, if being an ass...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    ... (in your opinion) means reacting to an uninformed post; guilty as charged.

You post well in spite of your admission to not having gone to high school. No need to feel stupid. Big deal about the level of education.

But if you're going to rant about inequities (which it seems Sid is attempting to do), why not take the time to do so in a way that shows rational thought patterns? That is best accomplished by putting in a comma or period here or there.

Wolfkiller... dude... my guess was that in his cryptic statement Sid was saying commercial fisherman get an unfair advantage, and that a Soldotna based ADFG (which he may believe favors locals) is the instrument of that unfairness. He believes that decisions should be made in Anchorage. I believe he is wrong. Do you?

If you live down on the peninsula for any length of time, you will quickly get the impression that Anchorage folks seem to believe that everything is here for them and everybody else be hanged.