Thread: Kasilof Expanded

Exclamation Kasilof Expanded

The usual extension to curb overescapement: dipnetting now expanded to the Sterling Highway bridge, sport limit raised to 6.

IMO: they should open up snagging and make the limit 12 if they really want to make a dent in the numbers. It would reduce the pressure on the Kenai drastically and focus our efforts where they really need to be... but it's just my opinion.

With all of the pressure on the Kenai and the very late second slug, it's prudent and responsible of us dippers to attack the Kasilof with gusto. We need to do our part to help the management of the fisheries and this is a good way to do it. I know, I know... the Kenai stock is bigger and argueably better tasting but some fish is better than none!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I went down to the Kasilof today to try dipping for the first time. There were so many nets in the water off the mouth that I couldn't imagine how any fish got through. I watched for about an hour and didn't see anyone get anything on either side of the river. I headed down to the Kenai because of that. People were steadily catching fish on the Kenai.

Now as I said I'm new to this but I don't see why anyone would spend the time on the Kasilof when there's all those nets out there. Am I wrong?

Default I caught seven this afternoon

In saw plenty more caught as well.

Quote Originally Posted by etsirk View Post
    I went down to the Kasilof today to try dipping for the first time. There were so many nets in the water off the mouth that I couldn't imagine how any fish got through. I watched for about an hour and didn't see anyone get anything on either side of the river. I headed down to the Kenai because of that. People were steadily catching fish on the Kenai.

Now as I said I'm new to this but I don't see why anyone would spend the time on the Kasilof when there's all those nets out there. Am I wrong?
    You are not wrong. I am relatively new also, but I found out you need to avoid the commercial openings. I think this year it's Monday and Thursday with special additional "emergency openiings".

When the commercial nets are out, they pretty much "mop up" and you are wasting your time.

2 weeks ago on the Kasilof we got apx. 14 fish each on the outgoing tide. We were a little late. Things were looking so good (lots of junmpers) we decided to stick it out for the Sunday evening tide. The commercial opener was for Monday. All of a sudden boats came tearing out of the harbor. On one boat the crew was yelling taunts at the dipnetters. I figured they were getting ready to set out their nets at midnight, but they all began setting out nets. More boats came and the mouth was completely closed off. We heard on the radio they had an emergency opener to allow them to get the incoming tide.

That was the end of it. A few fish were caught that were in the river already. Pretty much everyone left. I watched a few hardy folks walk the whole bank and no one got anything.

They closed the mouth of the Kenai to commercial fishing, and that's why fish were still coming in there.