Thread: baitcaster backlash

Default baitcaster backlash

I am new to using a baitcaster and seem to be getting allot of backlash. I am using maxima 25# ultragreen. Does this line tend to backlash more then others or is it just me being new to a baitcasting setup? thanks

tighten your spool, use more weight, use lighter line, keep your thumb on the spool when casting line. These are a few of things I can think of to help, I am sure more will chime in...

Default My advice

I recently(last year) started using bait casters and now I don't even want to pick up a spinning rod anymore. Here's the the key with a BC....keep your thumb on that spool during the entire cast. During the cast, you should feel the line just under your thumb, ever so lightly, spinning off the spool. The second that lure hits the water, you MUST push that thumb down and STOP the spool from spinning. Biggest cause of backlash is not stopping that spool spin at the right moment (when lure hits water)...its always ok to stop it before it hits (cast will be shortened) but never after as the spool will continue to spin until you either stop it or the line turns your reel into a bird's nest!! Finally, your line 25# test might be too heavy for your rod/reel set-up, not sure what reel and rod you have. You'll have fewer issues with smaller diameter line, as long as you have good thumb technique..... it's all about the thumb with BCs.

Hope that helps

Default maxima......

Sucks............has huge memory issues - haven't tried it in my baitcasters - and I won't be any time soon either.

Default set the tension

Until I get use to a certain lure I set my tension on the drum just so the lure will not fall on it's own when the release is clicked. After a few casts and I get use to casting I will loosen it up a tad. Don't go too far or you'll be at square one again
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

if you have the brake set correctly on the reel for the amount of weight you are using - you dont need to use your thumb - that will CAUSE a backlash in a split second

it takes time learn - period, and using a high quality line in the beginning will help

high quality is something that everyone has an opinion on with every brand out there

For rod I have a GL-2 and reel- Abu Garcia 6601C4. Will the 25# be ok with this setup?

Default Thanks

After tossin a weight in the driveway a little bit I think I figured it out. My brake was REALLY loose. Tightened it down so the weight would barley slip and casting is much easier. Thanks again for all the help.

The best advice I can give is to read the directions. Typically when you change lures or are setting up a reel once the lure, weight, bait etc is all in order point the rod up at about a 45 degree angle. Click the release and the lure should not move. A slight bounce of the rod should allow the lure to drop 2-3'. If this is done correctly as already mentioned you should not have to use your thumb. If you make a cast and still have a little backlash tighten the casting drag about an 1/8 of a turn tighter and rinse and repeat until you find the right setting. Keep in mind each time you change lures or weight a quick adjustment should be made. People also tend to try to sling or throw the rod to hard and thus create backlash because the spool is now spinning 10000rpm. Lighten up if you tend to do this and it will cast much smoother than any open faced reel. Once you are used to using it you can loosen the drag preferably no more than 1/8 of a turn at a time to increase your casting distance. If you still can't cast as far as you like then lighten it up even more and you will eventually have to use your thumb to a degree to stop the lure before it hits the water. Kids actually pick this all up much faster than adults but I won't ever go back to an open faced reel aside from the ones on my ultralight rods. Good Luck

I have a Daiwa and I had the same problem. It just takes time to get used to the weight you would like to use, the line you use, and the rod.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by akfirefighter View Post
    For rod I have a GL-2 and reel- Abu Garcia 6601C4. Will the 25# be ok with this setup?
    GL2 is a grade of rod. They make a wide variety of rods in GL2 GL3 etc so its hard to say based on your question. I have alot of GL2 rods myself, some I use 20lb and some 40lb. As far as the reel goes no problem.

Default Stretchhhhh

As in your line.

Maxima does have a strong memory. You have to put a really good stretch on your line. What I do is tie on a snap swivel, loop the line around something solid that won't cut the line (trees work), hit the release and keep my thumb on the spool. I put the rod up over my shoulder and walk backwards as far as I can. I usually go until property limitations stop me, or I run out of line whichever comes first. Reset the reel and walk backwards another 20-30 feet and then pull. I will reset and walk until I "think" I am going to break the line. Remember to keep the rod in a straight line pointing at what you tied to. You want to stretch the line, not work the backbone. After all that, I keep tension on the line and reel it back in. Keep the line up off the ground, that way you don't put extra nicks in your line (bad juju there).

Once you figure out how to cast with it, you won't go back. I love mine.

AK Chappy

I bought a bait caster a couple of years ago in order to find out why they are so much better than spinning outfits. After playing with it for a while and then reading the instructions and some more fiddeling they can be made to work. My two fishing buddies who only use bait casters and have for years, still get snarls at least once per trip. I am back to my good quality spinning reels and only use the bait caster when I get tired of having a trouble free fishing trip. Good luck with that thing. Flame on!!! rbuck