Thread: Detroit gearless locker review

Thumbs up Detroit gearless locker review

I have a 2004 yammy bigbear. I was down looking at the new ones and I really like the locking front differential that comes on them standard. I really get tired of riding a three legged pony when the mud gets deep or the climbing get really technical. So instead of buying a new bigbear (better half said Heck no!), I started looking into lockers from the front of of my 04. I finally settled on this:

http://www.atvoutfitters.net/lockers.htm

I got the LCKHLDET-3 because that was they said my machine takes. I ordered one up and it showed up about a week later. So this weekend I installed it. I used my winch to pull my machine up and set a saw horse under it so it wouldn't go anywhere. Remember to shut your gas off (I didn't and payed for it later with one badly flooded machine). It took me all of 45 min to get the front diff out. It took me a litte longer to get the new locker in because the rubber band that was holding all of the clutches on came off so it took me a little while to make sure all the clutches were in the proper order. The diff went back in almost as easy as it came out and I only smashed one finger (yeouch!). After realizing my fuel mistake and getting it unflooded I rode it around my driveway a few time, in 2 wheel drive and then in 4 wheel drive. Was it easy to steer? Well lets say that its not as easy to steer with the locker in but I wouldn't call it hard that for sure. I went down to the local hill climbing spot and thats when I realized that it was well worth every penny. Hills that I used to have to get a bit of a run at to climb were no sweat. Climbed them as slow as I could make the machine go and it just wouldn't lose grip. On top of that it was rainy and slick. I also only have stock tires on my machine.

Next down to the mud hole. There is the one muddy spot that always seems to get me. I have winched out of that darn hole too many times. That the first place I went. As usual I sank like a brick right up to the fenders and I started to cringe, but low and behold it never stopped, just drug itself right through like it was no big deal. Tell that to my xtra tuffs that were now full of stinky murky scum water.

Final short term review. Get one. If you have a machine that doesn't have a locking front end do yourself a favor at do the upgrade. I am very impressed so far. The only downside is I only have about 20 miles or so on it so far. Ill see if it passes the test of time.

Now maybe it time to do that tire upgrade.

byrd.

Sorry no pics it was raining like heck outside and I don't have a garage.

Does this mod affect the vehicles speed? I had heard that they do but would like to hear from someone with experience.

Default speed?

Speed as in how fasts my tops speed is? I don't see any difference. Keep in mind when Im going fast, Im in 2 wheel drive so the front diff isn't engaged. Acceleration, and overall off the line performance seems to be the same. I also don't ride very fast, just ins't my style. I usually have a dog or tow following me or I enjoying the surroundings. I hardly ever get my machine about 25 mph. Thats just me.

i have had a detroit gearless locker in my foreman for 5 or 6 seasons now and can't come up with one negative. i can't tell any difference in speed, turnng or steering other than when you are comming up out of a steep hole that would normally leave you in 3 wheel drive and it just grabs and pops you out. real nice. i highly recomend one. i have a rino with an electronic locker that works great but you have to engage it and while you are engaged the steering is a mother. i would prefer the rino have the gearless locker over the electric one. just my 2 cents worth.

i will second the praise on the DGL. I too have one in my Foremans diff and love it. It makes light work out of the situations that stop you in "3" wheel drive. There not very difficult to install( make sure it was assembled in the right order when recieved as quite a few have had a problem with this) and hold up well. Been running mine for 4 years without a problem and they do sell a rebuild kit if the need arises. I change out the diff oil and anti slip(1 ounce) every spring for safe measure but other than that maintanence free.
    I'll have to say that if your working it hard enough in 4 wheel drive you will notice it in there with some handle bar pull because both fronts are grabbing but its not excessive and more aggresive tires magnify the pull a little more yet. The internal clutch pack allows the two fronts to turn at a differant rate so when turning in 4 by your not muscleing the bars. Single best mod you can do to a 3 wheel drive 4 wheeler IMO.

Default Long Termish update

Pulled the Wheeler out a few weeks ago. After a few months of not riding the I thought Id give an update about my DGL. With 2 feet of snow on the ground, it is essential to have all 4 wheels pulling if you want to get anywhere. But in short, I don't know how I ever got anywhere without the front locked. It just goes and goes.

Is it hard to steer? You can defintly tell the front is locked, is it hard to steer? At slow speeds you feel some tugging, but nothing an average person can't overcome. You can also hear the clutches working at times. But It doesn't bother me any. Im with cwoods this is the single best upgrade to a wheeler.

Default Where to buy Detriot gearless lockers

I have a 500 Honda Fourman and would like to install Detriot gearless lockers. Where should I order them from? Any help would be appreciated.

Default This is where I got mine:

Decent prices and there installtion guide was easy to follow. Not sure which one you need.

http://www.highlifter.com/products.p...locker&x=0&y=0