Thread: Taxidermy work please help!!!

Default Taxidermy work please help!!!

Well I finally caught a salmon shark for the first time on Sunday and I need some one to clean up the jaws and I want it mounted along with the tail who does this work I've already called a couple places and they said they don't do them and I don't want to do this myself so I am trying to find a place. Also what would be a near estimate to have them mounted to a plaque with the tail and the jaws can someone help thanks

Dang nobody know's anything I find that really hard to believe lol

I know Mark Oslund at Alaska's Real Life Taxidermy could send you in the right direction. I don't think he does jaws anymore (he may give him a call) but I know he still does tails and has a good stock of molds if you didn't save yours. If you only want the jaws done if he doesn't do them anymore he will send you to someone who will or tell you how to do it yourself.
    I have a set from a shark I caught a couple years ago and I think Mark said it is pretty easy to do yourself. If I remember correctly he said something about soaking them in hydrogen peroxide, then glueing the teeth back in. My memory could be worng but give him a call.
    Personally, I would get a tail done, similar to a halibut tail mount, I think they look great!!

344-6805 business, 398-1093 cell, he and his wife Suzi are located in Anchorage.

Thanks yukon I've made the call to him and left a message yesterday with no call back yet and the jaws and tall are still sitting in the cooler with the tail waiting for someone to help I don't think I want to try it even if it is easy I have no clue what or where to start and knight's taxidermy told me $350 for the tail mount

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    Thanks yukon I've made the call to him and left a message yesterday with no call back yet and the jaws and tall are still sitting in the cooler with the tail waiting for someone to help I don't think I want to try it even if it is easy I have no clue what or where to start and knight's taxidermy told me $350 for the tail mount

going by what i know about prices on fish mounts, that's probably the number you're going to get. On average, plain mounts cost anywhere from $12-20 per inch of fish so eyeballing the tail size from your picture, $350 isn't high.

Frontier taxidermy in Valdez does the mounts of the jaws for $275 and a tail replica for $275 I will be sending mine out to them tomorrow.

Change of plans Mark osland called back and i just dropped the tail and jaws off to him $275 for the jaws and $425 for the tail little more pricey on the tail but he does dang good work said the jaws will take a couple months but the tail is about 1 year which is fine with me as long as it looks great

Nice shark! How big? Notice the guy behind you taking a picture on his cell phone?

You will be very happy with Mark, no doubt the best in Alaska and easily top 10 in the nation. The best when it comes to Alaska species. I hope to get a Ling this week to get a mount done! I already talked with him about it and has some great ideas. With any luck I will get a good one!

hunt_ak it was 7ft.+ and estimated it to be 400lbs. yukon, mark has a nice ling he's workin on now saw it when I went to drop off my jaws looks amazing