Thread: Copyright Issues

Default Copyright Issues

Local company used my image a couple of years ago in a advertisement and on there web site.

I sent them a certified letter and they didnt even respond nor pay me but removed the image from there site.

2 years later a visit to there store shows they are still using the image on business cards.

A call to the general manager resulted in him bascially telling me to buzz off, that I didnt do anything in the past and I wont do anything in the future. This business is established in the community.

Have any of you people had to deal with companies using your images without your permission? If you have, how did you handle it and what was the outcome?

The GM sounds like an A-hole. Maybe another certified mail is in order to the owner(s)? I haven't any experience with any copyright issues yet, so I can't offer any advice other than these Links for Photography Law.

Thanks, neighbor (who is an attorney) is helping me draft one final letter. If no payment I am filing for 10K in small claims court.

Default Get an attorney that specializes in copyright law

As a retired commercial photographer, I can tell you that you should sue the company. You can prove (through your certified letter) that they have been contacted and yet have continued to illegally use your proprietary work. A friend of mine had that happen with a health spa company (based in Boston) and he won a settlement of over $300,000.
    Of course the lawyer took one-third

My attorney is reviewing the letter. Win or lose this one is going to the courts.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

You will win... .. hands down.. tell them.. DEMAND from them A.S.M.P. rates ! (American Society of Magazine Photographers).
    Make sure you get a copy of their business cards !!!

I had one of mine used on the cover of a national magizine and it was solid to them by another photographer and he was credited with taking it. Previously I had attempted to sell it to the American Rifleman and had the reject letter. I contacted the publisher, told them the story as well as the American Rifleman and the guy has not published since. Stuart Williams. But I did not get any money either! But did get a published apology.

Good luck. J.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Fraud & grand theft is a felony.. I would find that individual and drag his arse into court and make him pay !!

GOOD LUCK !!

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Thanks for the link to the LAW Book!

That answered a lot of questions. Because I produced some local org newsletters I have several photos of Gov. Palin and and other legistlators at various events, local government officials, and dog handlers at various competions. I was under the impression that I could not use photos with identfiable people with out permission but could sell or use the government officials. I have contacted the dog handlers, if I wanted to use them and usually just send them a hi-res copy to use for themselves as trade.
    Thanks
    www.imageworkspub.com
    www.alaskadognews.com