Thread: Trolling speed?

Default Trolling speed?

Alright here is a question that will probably get alot of answers depending on species of fish but what do you guys think is a good trolling speed?
    Or better yet what is too fast.

Lets think Lake trout and silvers for the fish species.

I generally troll 1.9-2.2 MPH That's for everything from walleye to Lakers.
    When I fished the great lakes for salmon and trout it was the same about 1.9 MPH.

Default Speed

I like 1.8 to 2.1 for silvers.

Default Same - Same

Usually we keep it between 1.8 and 2.2 for silvers. If you are using Hotspot flashers (or similar) you will notice an improvement in production if you lengthen your tail leaders for higher trolling speeds and use shorter for slower speeds. You want action on your bait or hootchie, but you still want the fish to be able to catch up to it and wrap their mouths around it. The stiffer the tail leader material the better transmission of action to whatever is attached to the rear end of the flasher.

IMHO I have found that the upper limits of trolling speeds are more productive if you are dragging spoons around for silvers. Siwash hook sizes seem to work best if you use the next larger hook number than the size of the spoon itself (for example - #5 Canadian = 6/0 siwash). Hope this is helpful and good fishing! ;-)

1.8-2.2 MPH
    is what I get. If I can't get that I will toss out a 5 gal bucket to slow me down .
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I agree

Right around 2 is great for silvers, and closer to 1 1.5 for kings. Rememeber that should be speed through the water so you sometimes have to factor for tide, little faster down current and a little slower up.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Alright here is a question that will probably get alot of answers depending on species of fish but what do you guys think is a good trolling speed?
    Or better yet what is too fast.

Lets think Lake trout and silvers for the fish species.

For salmon, I troll whatever speed it takes to get my downrigger line at about a 45 degree angle.. Some days it's tough if I'm bucking a good tide.

The good news is that all the speeds suggested are well within your boats capabilities

Troll at the speed that makes your fishing line sing. when you hear your line singing, you are at the right speed.

I troll a bit faster @ around 2.4-3.0 for silvers and seemed to pick up more than surrounding boats the last two weeks. For kings slow is the word.

Default lakers

1.3-1.8 Lakers using flat fish faster fer Salmon Idoospoonin GFL
    fshrman

1.2-1.6 for lakers with flatfish style lures.

1.6-1.8 for lakers with Rapala style lures and (some) spoons.

0.0-1.0 Find the fish, go upwind and bottom bounce (or selective depth) spoons or jigs over them.

S turns when looking for fish. Lures speed up, slow down and rise/fall in depth. Just remember where you were when you got that hit.

When the tight lipped ones follow your lure up, let out some line, head for the shallows. They may hit when the water gets skinny. We had 4 hit that way. 2 turned after 1/2 mile of following in deep water.

Mike

That seems about right the 1.8 speed for lakers. We didnt really do that good of fishing this weekend to make a good scientific call, but it seemed that 6 of the eight hit at that below the 2 mph mark trolling herring wich I was able to do using the kicker. We were fishing for lakers. It was alot easier using the 35 for trolling but I couldnt get it below 2.2 MPH.