Thread: Confused on Upper Kenai regs

Default Confused on Upper Kenai regs

I'm going to risk sounding really stupid, but it's probably better than risking a citation by F&G or a trooper.

I've never floated the Upper Kenai before. I'm going to try it this weekend. Am I understanding the regs correctly that I have to use a single hook (lure, fly, or bare hook) with a gap no bigger than 3/8 inch? Is that kind of tiny?

Also, is this a "no bait" zone, so eggs are off limits but a bead is okay if tied within 2" of the hook or free to slide up the line?

Any recommendations on the best lures or flies to use with spinning tackle? I'm hoping to get salmon.

Thanks for any guidance on this. Hate to sound like a newbie, but on the Kenai that's exactly what I am since I've only ever dipnetted down there and I've had it with crowds!

You seem to understand the regs perfectly on all accounts. 3/8 is a size 2 in most hook styles and that is way big enough. I normally use an even smaller hook for reds like a 6 or an 8. The single hook area goes down around the bend from the hiway hole a couple houndred yards where you will see a large sign in the tree (right after going under the power lines). After that you can use a larger hook if you feel the need. Don't forget about the weight much be at least 18' above the fly in the fly fishing only area as well.

Anchorage, AK

I don't think you can use beads above the powerlines until mid August, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.