Thread: Hunting

Default Hunting

I'm a Marine that is going to be up in the Fairbanks area the first half of Aug on a work related trip. I"m going to have a little liberty time and would like to try to harvest a black bear while up there. I am IBEP cert'd and would like to try the ol' stick and string, I've got a Mathews Drenalin and more than capable of makeing the shot.

Can someone please point me in the direction of some good information about hunting for black bears in the Fairbanks area. I'm aware of the Non-res tags and licenses I'll have to get. I guess that what I'm really looking for is where to go type of information. Thank you for your help.

Steve Karns
    SSgt USMC

I'm not in the military, but have heard that there's a good amount of land on or near Eilson AFB that is open to the troops. Not sure what species are present, but if you search for eilson on this forum you may get some info.

Also, if you know someone at the base you will be working, they might be your best bet for current info.

Good luck, either way.

I can't remember what the scoop is, but in the hunting regulations, there are spots that only apply to military on military land.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...ations.hunting

Should be in here somewhere.

Default tough hunting

Black bear hunting around Fairbanks is pretty tough in the fall. There are bears here, but the cover is so thick it can be very difficult to spot one. That is why most bears around here are harvested in spring over baits. Your best bet would be to head for some higher ground where the cover isn't so thick and scout berry patches looking for bear sign. Once you find bear sign, just glass the general area until you find one. Then put the stalk on him.

As for hunting on Eielson, you are not allowed to bear hunt here. You are allowed to on Ft. Wainwright, but you must get a USARTRAK access permit from the Ft WW visitor's center, and call the number before you enter Army land. That being said, it is VERY tough to find a blackie out there. I have tried for 3 years and haven't even seen one yet. There are lots of grizzlies, which of course you won't be able to shoot without a guide.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not just that easy. I think your best bet around Fairbanks may be to check out the White Mountains and just do a lot of glassing. Or, if possible, head down to Valdez (a 7 hr drive) and rent a boat. Then just cruise the bays glassing the beaches and hillsides.

Bottom line is, there are plenty of bears in Alaska, and even in the Fairbanks area, but it may take time and a lot of effort to harvest one.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Black bear hunting around Fairbanks is pretty tough in the fall. There are bears here, but the cover is so thick it can be very difficult to spot one. That is why most bears around here are harvested in spring over baits. Your best bet would be to head for some higher ground where the cover isn't so thick and scout berry patches looking for bear sign. Once you find bear sign, just glass the general area until you find one. Then put the stalk on him.

As for hunting on Eielson, you are not allowed to bear hunt here. You are allowed to on Ft. Wainwright, but you must get a USARTRAK access permit from the Ft WW visitor's center, and call the number before you enter Army land. That being said, it is VERY tough to find a blackie out there. I have tried for 3 years and haven't even seen one yet. There are lots of grizzlies, which of course you won't be able to shoot without a guide.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's not just that easy. I think your best bet around Fairbanks may be to check out the White Mountains and just do a lot of glassing. Or, if possible, head down to Valdez (a 7 hr drive) and rent a boat. Then just cruise the bays glassing the beaches and hillsides.

Bottom line is, there are plenty of bears in Alaska, and even in the Fairbanks area, but it may take time and a lot of effort to harvest one.
    Excellent post. Fall bear hunting in Fairbanks can be very tough. The only real way to try for a bear is to glass the hills for berries and spot and stalk.
    My experience is that those "berry bears" can few and far between. You never see them when you want to.
    The White Mountain advice is good, but that is some tough country, and much of it walk-in only (BLM land).

Steve, can you switch gears and go for a caribou? There is some good ground fairly close to Fairbanks which would offer a far better chance than for that bear...Season opens Aug 10th.

Frank