Thread: Homer Lagoon must be an enforcement-free zone

Angry Homer Lagoon must be an enforcement-free zone

Lots of fish, lots of snagging.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
    Lots of fish, lots of snagging.

I was down there 2 years ago and saw multiple fines being given out to people snagging. Must have been a bad day.

Default It's A Zoo

I've got a lot of mixed emotions about the spit "fishing hole." While it's a real success story for fisheries management in that they virtually created the fishery from nothing, and it adds a lot to the spit and feel of the area, at times it can only be described as a zoo. I've been by there at times when I'm almost afraid to get out of my car there is such a wall to wall combat fishing show going on, with people casting wildly with reckless abandon while other clueless folks are walking right behind them. I wouldn't dare go near the water in those conditions for fear of returning home with stitches or missing body parts.-HA You all know what I'm talking about. Is this really the image we want tourists to have of Homer??The shame of it is that the worst offenders seem to be locals that I see there whenever I stop by to watch the entertainment. Kind of cracks me up to see these "sports" out there with thier chest waders and fancy equipment jockeying for position when there's so much quality water just a short drive away. I think they ought to change the laws there to make it for kids, seniors, and disabled people only, at least on the weekends. I will be proposing this during the next round of rule change openings. Hope it will get the support it should to pass. Just my 2 cents worth
    EMO
    www.AnchorRiverLodge.com

I'll preempt the first wise-ass that would have responded to this by saying "sure he wants to limit the fishing there so more people will go fish the Anchor" Let me say that the LAST thing I want or need is more people at our river. There is no hidden agenda here guys, and those of you that have witnessed the "show" on the spit must realize and agree something should be done. Tight Lines to all !!!

Emo what do you mean you dont want more people at your river? I dont think its very mature of you to single out a fishery because of SOME bad apples (WHICH EVERYWHERE HAS) and then say they better not come to "my river" either... you sound like a baby who hasnt learned the practice of sharing yet

Default ???

don't they open that up for snagging every once in a while????
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by emo View Post
    I think they ought to change the laws there to make it for kids, seniors, and disabled people only, at least on the weekends. I will be proposing this during the next round of rule change openings. Hope it will get the support it should to pass.
    I'd second that!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    I'd second that!
    When we come up, at least in the times past, we always fished in the lagoon. My younger son, and our grandkids love to fish there. I like it too, mostly because it is a place where i can take them, and they have the chance to actually land a fish, rather than just hook up only to get snapped off on some brush or pilings. The main problem i have seen there is when some local (or tourist, your choice) dons his waders, and polarized sunglasses, the proceeds to wade out in the middle of the inlet of the lagoon during the incoming tide and watch for the fish to bump into him! they usually tangle up with someone on every cast. Do you think be because they were crossing 3o people on every cast? Sheesh, you can cast all the way across the blasted thing! why block the entire "hot zone" for the 1 hour a day when the fish actually bite? I would like to see a reg there that makes it illegal to fish from in the water, shore only. If you want to wade, go outside the lagoon.