Thread: Dogs and Seals

Default Dogs and Seals

Has anyone ever had a dog injured or killed by a seal while hunting ocean ducks?

That is crazy! Good question. I wonder too?

I have had one encounter with the seals. My lab swam out till they were nose to nose turned around and came back - No problem - often wondered what the dangers were.

This topic was discussed by some Puget Sound sea duck hunters a while back on another forum. One guy with decades of experience said it was not a concern since he had never had an issue with the seals. Someone else said that they had an encounter that scared the dog pretty badly - dog tried to retrieve the seal. The majority opinion was that seals are not a concern for the dog while seaducking. Most guys don't set up around haul outs besides that being illegal and all it is smelly and noisy.

The biggest safety issue with seals is their hauling out onto your boat if it has a deck low to the water. This happens to kayakers once in a while, and I have read of one instance of a guy in a layout boat having a seal lion try to come up on the deck.

The thing to consider up here is that seals are still hunted by natives so they know that boats are not something they should be around. And if you are not fishing then you don't have a prefered food source to tempt them into coming close.

And if you are still concerned pick up a couple of seal bombs and have some fourth of July fun while out there. Just make sure your dog is not in the water when you toss it in.

Default Seal Bomb?

What's a seal bomb and where do you get them? Was talking with a new friend while soaking eggs for kings on the 'nai - and he said that a lot of his friends won't let their dogs retrieve in the salt for fear of the seals 'gutting' their dogs...said that they will come up from under them and hit them hard with their nose and cause gut damage - but that the seals aren't trying to eat them at all.....

Definately wouldn't want my second bedside partner to get slammed by a seal - and I know that if that happened the killer seal would have to die.

Never say never, but I haven't heard about any dog vs. seal issues in Southeast...in fact, there used to be a lab here in Wrangell that would "play" with some seals off petroglyph beach. I didn't witness it first hand but heard about it from several folks.

I definitely wouldn't expose my dog to sea lions because they are much more aggressive and unpredictable.

Hunted seals commercially for three years in the mid-sixties around Kodiak. I used about an eighty pound male Chesapeake for retrieveing mature seals that had been shot and killing pups on the beach. Never any problems either on the beach or in the water.
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    What's a seal bomb and where do you get them?
    Well, now that our nation is so terrified that we citizens are no longer trustworthy with real pyrotectnics you have to have a permit from ATF to purchase them from a dealer. Used to buy them off the shelf at the commerical fishing gear shops in various harbors around the nation. They are M80 sized sticks. In places like Cordova and Kodiak you could find some through the locals that still have a case or two in their gear sheds.

National Marine Fishery Service has a page of URL="http://swr.nmfs.noaa.gov/deter/Reference_Section.htm"]deterents[/URL] for various docks and what not. One of the things they list are cracker shells for 12g shotguns.

These are easy to get. Go to the "cop shop" Northern Security Supply on Old Seward between 36th and Tudor. They sell them to anyone since they do not require a permit. Do not shoot them through a full choked barrel since they have a sabot around the payload.

The behavior your friend describes sounds like a sea lion and not a "seal". We have Steller sea lions up here and they can be agressive compared to the other species. This is why you don't set up near their haul outs, not just the noise and the smell.

While I've never had a dog harrassed by seals, I've had seals/sea lions slam some of the birds I have dropped. It sort of looks like a "Jaws" scene, with the bloody water and all. I generally am a little wary of sending my dog out when there are lots of heads bobbing around.