Thread: Bear Encounters

Default Bear Encounters

I am having a record year for bear encounters and was wondering how many bear encounters people have this year so far?

I have seen 6 and 2 cubs so far. 2 while hunting earlier in the spring, one with 2 cubs. Last weekend me and some friends went fishing up Slough Creek in YNP which is bear infested. We saw 2 which we thought were griz. One on the way in and one on the way out. Both with in about 80 yds. This past weekend, Sat (Jul 25) I was walking back into the Yellowstone area South of Tower Falls with my head down watching the trail. I saw a movement to my left, and looked up to see about a 200 lb blackie galloping past me about 20 yds away. Yesterday (the day after) I was back up in Slough Creek and saw a bear on the way out at the same spot as the previous week. It looked like the same bear. It finally moved off the trail and as I passed at about 60 yds I could see it didn't have a hump or dish shaped face but pefect blonde griz hair color. So I think it was probably a black.

Who else has had bear encounters? How many and what were they like?

Default Record Encounters

Last year I encountered 7 bears. 4 black bears and 3 grizzlies. This year I have photographed over 27 bears now. 12 grizzlies, 4 grizzly cubs, 20 black bears, 4 black bear cubs. All have been on Fort Richardson, Elmendorf, Eagle River, Anchorage and 2 in Trapper Creek. A few of these bears I know pretty much right where to find them. The grizzly below I can Bubba, he is on elmendorf, the black bear I call Kbear and he is on Richardson.

Feel free to check out more of my photos.

We just had a couple of black bears punching it out on the creek below us yesterday. Couldn't see it happen but they sure put up a racket.
    Chuck

Default Looking for Killer Bears

I wish I could spend the time to find the bears alaskarain does. Don't get me wrong I find plenty, nice photos.
    And he's still alive, according to some these things stalk the woods looking to maul or kill someone so that we can hunt them down and get killed?
    Of course this are dangerious animals, when surprised or threated & of course get between cubs & mom. So how does he do it!
    By them knowing he is not a threat to life or food, there two most important things.
    I took a friend black bear hunting this year and we found one and cornered him, so I thought I'd see if I could make him charge me, at about 40 feet he started snapping his teeth and hoooofing at me, @ 30 feet he started to stomp his feet. Throwing rocks at him didn't make him do anything differerent. But all this time he also had a way to escape.
    Photo taken with a cheap camera @ about 50 foot or less. Folks who speed down the trail and or don't make noise shouldn't be surprised to surprise a bear!
    Last edited by alaskapiranha; 11-29-2008 at 12:56.

I'd much perfer to deal with a grizzly then a black bear. I think people think that a encounter with a bear just wont happen to them, until it does. Then the bear looses its life.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    I wish I could spend the time to find the bears alaskarain does. Don't get me wrong I find plenty, nice photos.
    And he's still alive, according to some these things stalk the woods looking to maul or kill someone so that we can hunt them down and get killed?
    Of course this are dangerious animals, when surprised or threated & of course get between cubs & mom. So how does he do it!
    By them knowing he is not a threat to life or food, there two most important things.
    I took a friend black bear hunting this year and we found one and cornered him, so I thought I'd see if I could make him charge me, at about 40 feet he started snapping his teeth and hoooofing at me, @ 30 feet he started to stomp his feet. Throwing rocks at him didn't make him do anything differerent. But all this time he also had a way to escape.
    Photo taken with a cheap camera @ about 50 foot or less. Folks who speed down the trail and or don't make noise shouldn't be surprised to surprise a bear!
    Feel free to check out more of my photos.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by alaskarain View Post
    I'd much perfer to deal with a grizzly then a black bear. I think people think that a encounter with a bear just wont happen to them, until it does. Then the bear looses its life.

most folks do not realize that in all reality a black bear is about 5 times more dangerous to you then a grizz... it has been proved by wild life officials around the world, by studying the remains of moose, elk and deer going back 1500 years. that blackies eat more game then grizz or wolf combined. they are able to study the fossilized remains and found they have not changed their method of killing in centuries. a blackie will stalk you for hours if you give him the chance. where a grizz is more likely to jump you defending cubs or kill site.. every year i have grizz on my bait stations... they leave at the sound of the 4 wheeler. the blackies will wander around me and watch. the grizz wont come back for 4 days after i leave... when you see a blackie, if they have a way out they will watch you.. if you see him wandering to wards you... he is checking you out to see f you'll put up a fight.. i had my daughter shoot one this June, he came 35 feet from us wandered of through the brush and turned and came up the drive straight at her and i.... he showed no fear of us in any way shape or form... and i have found over the years they will not show any aggressive behavior 90% of the time... i have seen my neighbor smack one with a frying pan for being in the trash in Valdez, and had them walk in the front door when it's open down there.... they are WELL fed bears and i guess just LOOKING... i have yelled and jumped up at them and the walk away.... and the look on their face just says... hmmm he's bigger then me so he don't want any trouble.. to date i still say i have never had a bad encounter with a bear. (never been charged) and this year i have seen plenty of them. most just want out of the way so i let them....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default A buddy of mine

Here on the foums. DLPed one on Kodiak during a goat hunt, first night there. Had a second come by for a visit 2 hours later. Then another one that next morning walking down the shore. That was enough for him and his partner they called out. Myself I tapped 7 this year at work with rubber slugs. But thats different then being out in the bush and running into them