Thread: 48 to AK head ship

Default 48 to AK head ship

I have an elk head in Montana at my parents that I want to ship up here. UPS wants over 500$ (without packaging) - does anyone have any cheaper ways of shipping here?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have an elk head in Montana at my parents that I want to ship up here. UPS wants over 500$ (without packaging) - does anyone have any cheaper ways of shipping here?

I was going to do the same. My dad, also in Montana, has my 367 bull. I would have been better off dragging it along when I moved here three years ago. For now, I will wait until I drive down again to pick up more of my junk/slide in camper. Although It won't be for two years, if you still want it we can discuss off-line...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Default Some suggestions

You might want to try and become a "known shipper" or have whoever has the mount in the lower 48 go thru the process. Call Alaska cargo airlines and give them the rough size of the box/crate it would ship in as well as the weight and departure/destination airports and they can give you a rough estimate of overall cost. On their website they also have the forms for becoming a known shipper--well worth the bother in my estimation for shipping seafood/other cargo around the US to friends/family and to/from trips.

Default removeable antlers?

if your antlers aren't removeable your gonna have a huge crate and a big bill....its still not going to be cheap to ship either way....elk mounts arent small...make sure it is crated very well though....screw the backboard of the mount the crate itself...and tie the antlers so there is no movement at all.....and insure it for as much as you can...and dont' use fed ex if they screw it up they will drag it out til you say uncle and don't make them pay
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Nope

The antlers are NOT removable. It isn't even close to a 360 bull - It was my first Bull with a bow though so it means a lot to me. I will probably just have to bite the bullet......really wishing I would have thrown it in the moving container now.

Default Maybe we can help each other....

I'm coming up from Montana in Sept. 2009. I want to drive but the diesel prices are through the roof and I bet they are even worse on the Alaska Highway. If I fly I can't bring as much, can't take as much, and will have to pay to ship meat, racks, capes, and some gear etc. in addition to my airfare. All of those costs might make it comparible to just driving. Maybe you guys would both want to pitch in for fuel. It will be cheaper than shipping and you won't have to worry about any crating charges or mishandling. I am used to travelling with shouler mounted elk because I do outdoor shows back east every year and travel with mine. I screw them to the sidewalls of my fully enclosed cargo trailer solid as a rock.

Just a thought.... could work to benefit all of us. If I had a 367 bull I know I'd want that sucker on my wall where I live. Right now I figure 2500 miles each way to Fairbanks. At 10 mpg that's 500 gallons of fuel round trip. At $5 to $6 a gallon I'm looking at $2500-$3000. My partner is flying from Pa. and he'll just give me whatever it would cost to ship his stuff but I need more to make it work.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested or email at indiansummer.joe@gmail.com

Default see it

I see this moved to the top - I will send you another PM.