Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What constitutes Crowded?

Default What constitutes Crowded?

I know there is a difference between what I think is crowded and what Alaskan residents think is crowded.

So my question is mostly for Alaskan residents. When you are out hunting, what do you consider "crowded"?

If I see someone else within 2 miles of me I usually move.

I was hunting on a lake last fall, and on day 4 or 5 of my hunt, a group moved in about 1/4 mile down the lake from my campsite, where I had been hunting. That was crowded for me. I packed up and moved to a new location.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

If I see another hunter or hunting party in the area I am hunting.

Within a couple miles and even then that's too crowded at times especially for moose and bear. Caribou is a different story though. Hard to get that far away from folks if you don't fly in, so if I am able to stalk w/o being moved in on I'm happy.

Another vote for if you see another hunting party it's crowded.

That might sound like we're spoiled compared to the lower 48, but you have to realize that game density is typically much, much lower than in the lower 48.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    If I see another hunter or hunting party in the area I am hunting.
    sums it up nicely.

AGREED!

Depends on what i'm hunting. If i'm moose or sheep hunting and I see another party in the same drainage i'm in then I move or make myself known and hopefully they will move. If I'm hunting caribou then I don't really care one way or the other as eventually they (caribou) will move back into my hunting area.

One “four wheeler” putten up and down the valley all day “hunting”; stopping by camp a couple of times each day to find out if we’ve seen anything; or an airplane flying up and down the valley early morning and late evening – too many of either.
    Several parties of hunters that know enough to plan their days activities according to the wind and not spend their time needlessly “stinking” up good hunting areas often pretty nice to spend some evenings with discussing what is going on in the area.
    Spent too much time in areas believing I was the “first” only to find an old cache or fire ring.
    Joe (Ak)

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    ....an airplane flying up and down the valley early morning and late evening.....
    I absolutely love the airplane guys, especially when I see them circling. I head over there immediately.

They're circling because they see something, and they can't shoot until tomorrow.

I've bagged more than one moose like that............

Default Alone

Even 1 other hunting party around seems crowded. Thats why I usually fly out. One of the main reasons I even go on these hunting trips is so I dont have to deal with any other people than just me and my hunting partner for an entire week or more. If I bag an animal it's just a bonus.

Default Another way to view the question

I think the real point being made is how near another hunting party needs to be to affect your chances/feelings of them affecting your chances of harvesting an animal. Depends on the species I would say—for example, for sheep and goats another person in the same valley can have major impacts on your ability to successfully complete a stalk on an animal. If they aren’t directly competing for the animal(s) you are their very presence/scent/movement can spook the animals out of the area.

For other animals such as caribou another group can be fairly close and it won’t affect your chance of success as much as during a sheep/goat hunt simply because of the behavior pattern of that type of animal.

But, for some folks just seeing another hunting party gives them the impression that their chances of success have been drastically reduced regardless of actual impact. Guess the lesson to learn is that you should just keep hunting hard, persevere in the face of those odds and remember that you are at least out of the office enjoying something you love to do.

Seems to me that most hunting places are getting more crowded these days or at least appear that way--so just enjoying the time spent in the great outdoors needs to figure in part of your equation for what constitutes a successful hunt if it hasn't in the past.
    Just my .02 cent worth.

If I see another person on a fly-in hunt I am disappointed, but I am not unfriendly if I encounter another hunter in the field. Most of the time it is totally nobodies fault.

I absolutely hate airplanes buzzing me. It's becoming more common as the years go by. I have no idea why. I had a Cub buzz me while stalking a sheep above Eklutna with my bow a few years ago. Luckily the sheep are used to it and stayed put....but that guy came back for another pass. There is NO way he could have missed me and seen only the sheep. For that pass he got a double one fingered salute. He got the point and left..he was so close I could see the look on his face. What the hell is that about?? I got buzzed in much the same way on Montague while putting the stalk on a doe. I'm starting to think that anti-hunters are buying Super Cubs

If I am on my ATV I just put up with other people. I figure that if there's a trail in to the spot there is going to be people.

Default Thanks

for all the interesting viewpoints. I've hunted in Alaska enough to have known some of the answers.

Yes, part is because of the MUCH lower game populations and, part is because of the "wilderness" expectation.

I've been on the Chicken Ridge Trail, Birch Creek and the only time I felt crowded was on the Mulchatna River when hunting caribou.

However, my 6 sunny, warm days on Kodiak hunting deer with not a single other person (except my 2 hunting buddies) encountered was definitely "the best".

Thanks again.

It's crowded any time I have to modify or cease my hunting due to the presence of others.

Default modify or cease hunting

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It's crowded any time I have to modify or cease my hunting due to the presence of others.
    Well put BrownBear. Example:

Several years ago my partner and I paid big bucks to fly in on a sheep hunt. We set up tents at the air strip with six rams a mile across a flat and then up the mountain from us - one legal in the bunch. Couple miles up the valley another group with another shooter. This one was a very nice ram - potentially 40 inches. Past this bunch nothing but rocks and ice. No more sheep country beyond. There was no other country accessible from this strip due to glaciers and glacial rivers. It was one little hunting hole. We stayed put and kept out of sight of the sheep awaiting the opener.

August 9th I awoke in my tent at 6:00 AM to the sound of a plane. They landed right next to our tents. After the exchange of a few harsh words, they proceeded to check the zero on their rifle scaring the rams above us into the very tough landscape. They then headed up the valley and pitched their tent right under the other bunch of sheep.

Way too crowded on this hunt and there were only two other guys around.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

So how did it end? Did they shoot the rams or did you?

Default both

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    So how did it end? Did they shoot the rams or did you?
    My partner took the smaller ram that was close to the strip. They spooked the big ram out by setting their tent right under him (thermals) but they did scratch out another legal. Our plans for pulling a double came to an end.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Red face Phil

Phil

If I can see you I need to find a new place to hunt. In unit 23 we have areas that have way too many hunters and that are a shame. But most of the unit there are plenty of places to hunt with out seeing much is any one. I hunt in the 5 mile no fly zone which was created for locals to hunt with out the pressure of the September Visitors and I expect to see some folks on the Noatak River but once I strap on my meat frame and start hiking it is almost always just me out there except for the planes flying over looking down on me whishing they were in my shoes!

This isn’t western NY for sure! Leave your blasé orange at home!
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Mark

I know of a spot right under the September flyway of Lake Hood that is great moose hunting, and I've never encountered anybody else in there, but the drone of aircraft during daylight (and even well into darkness) is constant.

Then again, I've been hundreds of river miles from the nearest road and the river was like Grand Central Station. The hunting was still fabulous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast