Thread: Kodiak Fishing

Default Kodiak Fishing

How is the fishing in Kodiak been are there any silvers showing up in any of the rivers and streams. Is there any reds left over or are they pretty much finished up with over there. What is the hot rivers over there right now, last i heard the king run had been a disaster so I'm looking for any information pertaining to Kodiak.

Default Timing Is Everything

Don't know what your experience is with Kodiak, so sorry in advance if I'm about to tell you what you already know. Having fished there over a dozen times in the late 80's and 90's, the peak of the silver run usually occurs around the first week of Sept. for the road system rivers ( Olds and Pasakshak) Having said that, we used to try and time our trips to be there for at least a few days after they opened up the upper river (above the bridges), which usually occurs around the 12-15th.(check with F&G) It's quite an experience to be able to fish the upper Olds and sight cast fly fish. The Pasagshak has some huge silvers, and my dad and I have both caught a couple of "trophy" class silvers there (over 20 lbs), so if you're looking for a wall mounter, that's the place to hit hard. Haven't been there for several years now cause I'm pretty tied up with our new place, but I doubt too much has changed (except the crowds), and going later will help you out with that as well. Have a great trip and PM me and let me know how you make out. I've got to get back there again soon myself.
    Regards,
    Brian Emard
    Anchor River Lodge

Default Kodiak on assignment...

I just returned from there on the 25 of July. The salts are hot with lingcod, halibut, black rockfish, silver salmon, pink salmon, king salmon, and yellow eye. I fished from out of the harbor to Wiliams Reef, Long Island, to Whale Pass, and the Raspberry Strait. Some days were better than others, and when the Wounded Warriors were there, they cleaned the Kodiak clock.

Hot rivers for reds were Pasagshak and Saltery, with ADF&G allowing take ten on Saltery due to the outstanding return.

I noticed a sign on the Russian posted by ADF&G that opens it upstream of the bridge after September 16 and my assumption is this will parallel throughout the road system for the silver action when/if it comes.

Things are strange on the rivers. It's been cold for a long time. Some fish are showing and some aren't. The Buskin was a bust this year. The river dollies didn't have opportunity to follow the spawners and they are stalling at sea.

My time there was productive. The sea gave me the best return.

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Hey Berny-

Quick question....

You hail from Florida, but dub yourself, "Alaskan Author?" (I even saw you at the Kodiak airport last week sportin' your 'Alaskan Author' hat.)

Where are you really from?

Default Kodiak "any information"...

Looks like Rosenberg hooked you up with current info. Sounds encouraging too. Definitely start off with a few local flies and advice from Kodiak fly shops.

Last year, I fished the road system with 3 buddies in August. The best catches were on cured eggs, but I saw a few silvers caught on local attractor patterns. My buddies resorted to eggs and most limited out on the Buskin.

Strange phenomenon: fishing the "hot" road system streams, the plentiful Silvers would not take a fly or lure. The local paper ran an article about it. "Lockjaw" they called it and suggested fishing some of the less popular waterways. I worked Deceiver/attractor patterns in the salt water at river mouths and hiked to the mouth of Roslyn Ck one day, but saw only two Silvers all day. I met other fly fishermen, including a few locals there who said the same, though some guys upstream near the road caught at least one. It sounds like returns vary from year to year and from what Rosenberg posted and things might be quite different this year.

If you're going, good luck. Stop by the local shops for local knowledge and to pick up a few flies. Consider using lures or eggs if it's fish you're after. Watch for bears.

Default Went out before work

Went out today before work to Monashka Creek or river caught some pinks and hooked into a king and lost it. Due to the travel plans I have all I was able to bring was some extremely light tackle so I may have to go out and get a new rig set up. But it was good fishing to enjoy being out and catching fish before work. Thanks for all the info and keep it coming

Default What I do/Who I am...

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    Hey Berny-

Quick question....

You hail from Florida, but dub yourself, "Alaskan Author?" (I even saw you at the Kodiak airport last week sportin' your 'Alaskan Author' hat.)

Where are you really from?
    I reside in Sarasota, FL and sign every message I post with Rosenberg/Florida. My user name on the forum is my own name.

Alakskan Author is my business name. When you bear the cost of printing and publishing and distributing your own books, promotion is everything; thus the moniker.

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    Went out today before work to Monashka Creek or river caught some pinks and hooked into a king and lost it. Due to the travel plans I have all I was able to bring was some extremely light tackle so I may have to go out and get a new rig set up. But it was good fishing to enjoy being out and catching fish before work. Thanks for all the info and keep it coming
    Talked to a guy who said he caught three kings at Monashka last week, but I'm not sure I believe him. He seemed to be pretty high on himself and kind of full of it. I saw one king out there about a week and a half ago just below the bridge but he was getting harassed by some kids throwing hardware so I didn't even try for him.