Thread: 1st Week In September

Default 1st Week In September

I am planning a fishing trip from 4-11 September and would like some thoughts on where to catch salmon in the Anchorage/Matsu area. I would also not mind the Kenai Peninsula fisheries. Also, any contacts on trustworthy trout guides on the Kenai River would be great. Can't wait to get back home to AK. Thank you in advance.

Default Anchor River

I have to admit up front that I'm a little biased on this issue but we have some great fishing on the Anchor River that first two weeks of Sept., and the "competition" is significantly reduced once Sept. rolls around. Silvers are still coming in, albeit in reduced numbers, but the sweetest thing about that time is the steelheads are there too, so you are actually fishing for both. The steelheads are a protected catch and release fishery, but they are a tremendous fish to catch, and their numbers have come back strong. Last fall I was catching almost as many steelheads during that time as I was silvers. Last year was the best I've seen yet for the steelhead fishing, and it will only get better. Although the very convenient Anchor River tractor launch usually closes in early Sept., Homer is just a 15 minute drive if you want to work in a halibut charter as well. Check out our website if you need a place to stay. You simply won't find anything to compare for the price. Have a great trip whatever you decide on.
    Regards,
    Brian Emard
    Anchor River Lodge

Default Kenai in September

I suspect that the Kenai should be fishing very well for silvers during the first week of September. And beside that, the limit will be raised to 3 fish per person per day beginning September 1. There may be some lingering pinks, but the main push will have passed through the lower by then.

The middle and upper Kenai should be on fire for rainbows during that time as well.

Good luck

Default trout

See if one of the guides at Troutfitters in Cooper Landing would take you out for rainbows on the Kenai.

http://www.aktroutfitters.com/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    See if one of the guides at Troutfitters in Cooper Landing would take you out for rainbows on the Kenai.

http://www.aktroutfitters.com/

Yep, What Dan Says!!
    Dusty and Billy will hook you up!!

Thanks a lot fellas. Please keep the info flowing. I will be taking my 9 year old son with me. Is the Anchor River pretty easy to fish on foot with my son? What type of lures/flies should I get ready to start tying for silvers/ steelies? Is a spinning real setup for my son ok to use?

For steelies I use 12mm beads and a float or swing leach patterns with a fly rod.

Default lures for silvers...

For fishing for silvers, try some Pixies in 1/2 to 7/8 ounce sizes in pink on nickel. Also some Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. Again, pink bodies with silver spinners in size #4. Hard to beat when it comes to silvers. For flies, look at pink streamers and leeches. I have had good luck with purple esl with pink heads, size #2. When they are biting, they are pretty agressive. Pink is popular. But when they are tight lipped, try a #2 bead head olive woolly bugger. Early morning and late evening will likely be best. As well as overcast days. We fished them hard mid day on our last float trip (Goodnews) and could not get a bite except for the olive bead head woolly buggers. Finicky at times, like all fish. But we had bluebird skies and all too. That did not help. I could suggest a great book, "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska" by Troy Leatherman. It is on the forum store. A whole chapter is dedicated to each sportfish in Alaska. Very thorough book with lots of info. Much more than the when/where/how/what flies type of book. It has life cycle and feeding habits, habitat preferences, etc.. Very good book.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Great stuff everyone. What is the best way to fish the Anchor River? Is it foot friendly or does one have to fish from a boat? If fishing by foot, where are some good areas to start targeting? Thanks once again for any info.

Default Anchor River...

Get the book "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen. There is a whole chapter on the Kenai Peninsula. It is for sale on the forum store. Also can be ordered from Barnes and Noble or Amazon. Great book. I looked at it just the other day and there is a whole page or two on the Anchor River. Also on Deep Creek and Ninilchik River, which are very close to the Anchor. Great silver fishing and perhaps steelhead too in one (if not more) of those rivers during the time of your trip. I would suggest you getting the book for sure. It does not matter if you fly fish or not, the book is full of maps (100+) and gives great detail on how to get to prime fishing spots. One of my very favorite books on fishing Alaska.

The Anchor is very foot friendly.
    Start at the bridge below the highway down to the ocean.