Thread: Deer Hunting

Default Deer Hunting

New to hunting Deer in the PWS. Whats the best bet on strategy on hunting deer in the PWS? I hear wait til the snow hits...hunt the beaches etc. I understand they stay way up top til the snow hits.

Hunted last year on Naked Island and saw lots of sign but hear there was a huge dieoff a year prior to this, removing hundreds of deer from the herd.

Any particular islands or locations?

Thanks

I'd be prepared to walk, early in the year (September-Octoberish) they'll be up high, but definetly accessible. Mid-November they begin to rut and they'll come down but I don't like the idea of going out in a boat in November.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Precaution

I haven't hunted deer in PWS but I have on Kodiak. I have a friend who lives there.

Early in the fall the deer are high but the venison is great and the weather is usually good.

Later in the fall (late Oct & Nov) the weather deteriorates and the deer are rutting. Rutting bucks are not tasty (can you say sausage??). I suspect (don't know for sure) that lots of the deer shot on the beaches are does.

For me, I will continue to hunt in early September and enjoy better venison.

Default I suspected

that they would be high earlier in the season. What elevation are we talking about? From what I have heard "TOP" seems to be the most popular word in the conversation on the topic. Are they in the thick stuff or on the open areas like the bears etc. I have hunted deer for all of my life. Just not sure how the rut or other aspects of the deer hunting goes when it comes to Blacktails etc.

Thanks again for all info and anyone got any ideas or want to get together let me know...I plan on going in a few weeks as I understand it opens up next week.

Thanks again

Typically early in the season they will be grazing hillsides anywhere from just above the brushline to where the vegetation stops if it does. If the weather is nasty they will of course be bedded down in the brush. If the weather is nice, glass the hillsides for golden colored spots.
    They can also be found on the outskirts of open fields where the brush opens up.

Default Top

My experience has been that early in the season the deer (especially bucks) are on the top of the mountains. I think they like the freedom from bugs that is afforded by wind.

They seem to ged down in alder thickets and then come out to graze. My experience is that they have been easy to spot but not always esy to get to.

just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I haven't hunted deer in PWS but I have on Kodiak. I have a friend who lives there.

Early in the fall the deer are high but the venison is great and the weather is usually good.

Later in the fall (late Oct & Nov) the weather deteriorates and the deer are rutting. Rutting bucks are not tasty (can you say sausage??). I suspect (don't know for sure) that lots of the deer shot on the beaches are does.

For me, I will continue to hunt in early September and enjoy better venison.

My dad and I shot 5 bucks off Kodiak 3 years ago, and they were rutting heavily, but the meat tasted better than any whitetail, that's for sure.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

They are high on the moutain.. Most people go in Nov and Dec.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Im wondering if the cold weather and snow up high still has affected the elevation they will be at? I guess I will find out soon enough.

What is everyone's favorite caliber to use on deer, not assuming you need to use the same weapon for bear defense?

Default weapon

I was planning on using my 243, with the long shots that might have to take place. If not then I will use an 8.65(8MM). I also have considered the Bow as well.

Does anyone have any input to Long Island. I hear this little island is pretty good as it is easy to hunt. I also hear there are no protected areas to anchor the boat and seems it can be rough for an allnighter. Otherwise I will be running to Knight or Montauge Island maybe even Esther.

Thanks

Default caliber

depends on the given island's other inhabitants. 243 would be fine if brownies aren't present. I personally wouldn't carry on on a place like Montague; I'd definetely feel undergunned.
    Gary

Default Anybody else heading out on opening day?

Thinking about hiking up high on Knight this weekend. Who else is going to be around? Leave Friday night, return Sun. I'll be monitoring 16. Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

If I go to Whitter I might bring my bow just in case.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    If I go to Whitter I might bring my bow just in case.

And bring me too. I will bring my knife and fork also. Backstrap, yummmmm yummmm