Thread: Week of July 28th Sockeye thread

Default Week of July 28th Sockeye thread

Well it looks like the Kenai district commercial fishermen are not getting their regular Monday opener. Does this mean dipnetters and sportfishermen are soon to see restictions? From what I hear F&G will meet Tuesday, I also talked with a credible source that said F&G was telling dipnetters the is another pulse of fish just outside the river. I fished the pastures for kings on Sunday and saw my first sockeye jumpers in two weeks, so it looked like some fish were coming although my buddy did not do well dipnetting Saturday or SUnday.

Default not sure who you talked with

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Well it looks like the Kenai district commercial fishermen are not getting their regular Monday opener. Does this mean dipnetters and sportfishermen are soon to see restictions? From what I hear F&G will meet Tuesday, I also talked with a credible source that said F&G was telling dipnetters the is another pulse of fish just outside the river. I fished the pastures for kings on Sunday and saw my first sockeye jumpers in two weeks, so it looked like some fish were coming although my buddy did not do well dipnetting Saturday or SUnday.
    Yukon, not sure who your source talked with or when. There was some fish outside the Kasilof and they came in this weekend. However, I know of no one in commercial fisheries division who are monitoring this saying that a pulse of fish is outside the river. Now pulse is a subjective word. Kenai is taking around 20 k a tide but that makes for poor dip netting.

I would assume that ADF&G will take action in the sport fishery if the commercial fishery is closed on Thursday.

I talked with a buddy from Anchorage (who does a lot of work with F&G) who said he was told by F&G (not sure who or what division) to stay for dipping on Sunday as there were some fish out there and it should be good. It didn't pan out.

On another note, and you may have some thoughts, the area sportfish biologist is getting lots of calls (to a point where he isn't answering his phone) from commercial fishermen wanting him to close the river down because they are closed down (at least for one day).

Default what can I say

I talked with a buddy from Anchorage (who does a lot of work with F&G) who said he was told by F&G (not sure who or what division) to stay for dipping on Sunday as there were some fish out there and it should be good. It didn't pan out.

On another note, and you may have some thoughts, the area sportfish biologist is getting lots of calls (to a point where he isn't answering his phone) from commercial fishermen wanting him to close the river down because they are closed down (at least for one day).
    Yukon, in any fishery with thousands of participants there are a few that make noise when they should stay silent. In this case commercial fisherman would be well advise to calm down and wait on escapement. The PU or sport fishery harvest at this point will not drive a decision either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Yukon, in any fishery with thousands of participants there are a few that make noise when they should stay silent. In this case commercial fisherman would be well advise to calm down and wait on escapement. The PU or sport fishery harvest at this point will not drive a decision either way.
    I know Nerka, but the shoe is on the other foot this time, seems one or two guides speak up or talk with F&G and such and it gets labeled as "guides" not just the couple making noise. Sportfishers and guides have been flamed for attempting to influence decisions, now it seems to be the comfish guys.

Heck, they aren't even shut down, just shut down for a day. If some fish pass into the river they will get their nets back in the water and probably some EO time.

I also heard a rumor that commercial fishermen were placing some blame on Kodiak commercial fishermen, and that Jeff Fox even went so far as to put it on one of their recordings (a couple days ago) that the Kodiak commercial fishermen were not to blame for their poor run. Have you heard anything like that?

I know Nerka, but the shoe is on the other foot this time, seems one or two guides speak up or talk with F&G and such and it gets labeled as "guides" not just the couple making noise. Sportfishers and guides have been flamed for attempting to influence decisions, now it seems to be the comfish guys.

Heck, they aren't even shut down, just shut down for a day. If some fish pass into the river they will get their nets back in the water and probably some EO time.

I also heard a rumor that commercial fishermen were placing some blame on Kodiak commercial fishermen, and that Jeff Fox even went so far as to put it on one of their recordings (a couple days ago) that the Kodiak commercial fishermen were not to blame for their poor run. Have you heard anything like that?

Yes Fox went on the recording to clear the air. Rumors at this time of year are common but that one had people calling the governor's office.

You need to separate the various fisheries when you talk about the commrecial fishery. The set nets south of the Blancard line have had significantly more fishing time than the sets north of the line. So the nets north of the line have probably had a poor season since they target Kenai.

The drift fleet percentage of the harvest is down and the catch is only about 900k. Thier season is essentially over. With fuel costs and fish not building up in the district any future commercial fishing time would go to the set nets. Some drift fisherman may chase west side coho but those fisherman are just a handful. The drift fleet is not having a good season.

I heard today from numerous people that some commercial fishermen were picketing/protesting at the Warren Ames Bridge and the Kenai City dock that the dipnet fishery should be closed as well. What have you heard about that?

Yukon, do you have a point to this, or is stirring emotions your plan?

I don't think the commercial fishermen are as upset about not fishing as they are about the dipnetters being able to. After all, the management plan does give priority mostly to commercial fish. And the Kasilof dipnet limit has been liberalized, so there's no reason to keep fishing the Kenai further. Believe it or not, most of those commercial guys care about escapements. Maybe you think the dipnetters should keep fishing the Kenai?

I don't know how many fish the dipnetters are catching, from what I have heard they catches are pretty small, insignificant if you will. The commercial guys got shut down for a day, after the fact it may be two days. The dipnet fishery closes in two days. They won't catch a make or break number in those days, if they could, I trust in F&G they would shut them down. The commercial guys season goes for a few more weeks, dipnet two days. If fish show up the commercial fishermen will get their openers and probably some more EO time. I don't see dipnetters or sportfishermen running protests when commmercial fishermen get EO's and they don't get expanded hours. How many EO's did the commercial fishermen get in the Kasilof before there were any expansions of the Kasilof dipnet fishery.

Grampy, do you not trust F&G's management? Is it okay for the commercial fishermen to call and try and influence F&G and protest at boat lanches as to how F&G manages?

What if it were guides and sportfishermen protesting and attemting to tell professional managers how to manage? How would you feel?
    The bottom line is commercial fishermen are very good at what they do, they are very efficient, they would catch more in one opener than sportfishermen would the rest of the season.

BTW, without the nets in the water we are seeing more silvers than I have ever seen this time of year, amazing isn't it?

Nice try yukon. But when there is a conservation concern established, all user groups should shoulder the burden, not just the commercial fishermen. I support F&G's Division of Commercial Fish in closing the commercial fishery. It was the right thing to do. The commercial guys won't argue that. They are pro-conservation. I do not support F&G's Division of Sport Fish in keeping it open. I was not the right thing to do, considering the valid conservation concern, and the potential for user group conflict (protest). So while you might believe the commercial fishermen were trying to influence F&G, think again...it was we sportfishermen who, for some influencial reason, continued to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon
    What if it were guides and sportfishermen protesting and attemting to tell professional managers how to manage? How would you feel?
    That's funny...they do just that, and in fact have gone a step further...Just look at their attempts to use Senator Lyda Green and a task force made up of politicians to manipulate the management process.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon
    BTW, without the nets in the water we are seeing more silvers than I have ever seen this time of year, amazing isn't it?
    I'm not sure what your point is...There have been better years with heavy commercial fishing going on, and worse years with no commercial fishing. Some of the best eary silver fishing has been with the nets in the water. FWIW, some of the best silver fishing of the season is during the last two weeks of July when the nets are fishing and your guiding for Kings. The Silvers don't just suddenly show up the first week of August because King season is over.

Grampy I really don't want to go back and forth with you, I am too tired and don't have enough time nor energy. Have a good silver season.

Then why did you address me and ask me questions?

Sorry, won't do it again, my bad. I didn't realize I did as I made that post a week ago. Again, my apologies
    Have a good silver season.

Yeah, I've been gone for about a week. Just getting back to answering questions and addressing some of the issues.