Thread: wide or std. duplex leupold

Default wide or std. duplex leupold

i'm looking at a leupold 3x9x40 VXII and would like your opions on the wide vs. std. reticle. Thanks in advance. Tom

That depends on several factors. Your eye sight. Type of hunting your going to do with it. How fast of a shooter you are, running game?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

It depends on your target and how small of a group you are trying to achieve. A wide duplex, when shooting at paper, will cover the 2" circle you are shooting at, so extreme precission is more difficult. However, if you are mounting it on a 375 and dont expect to shoot anytning over 100yrds, it makes for a quick sighting devise. Personally, I prefer the standard duplex. It is "standard" because it suits 99% of hunting aplications out there. The idea of the duplex is to have the heavy outside lines for quick sighting, and the smaller inside + for more precission.

Another idea: if you buy the heavy, you'l always wonder if the standard would have been just a little bit better. If you buy the standard, you'll forget they make the heavy. just a thought.

You cant go wrong with the loopy your looking at. Had one on my .338 and loved it. the VX-II is a real good hunting scope.

Better yet, the German 4a reticle. It has the thick lines of the heavy duplex on the sides and bottom, and the thinner std plex lines.

My only beef with the heavy plex is they made the inner lines heavier as well, which isn't needed. I'd also say Leupolds std plex is better than the std on most scopes, which are too thin, and the thin inner lines are only in the very center of the scope.

Default maybe some confusion...

I think there may be some confusion about the term "wide duplex." The way I understand the term as Leupold uses it, it does not mean "thicker." It means that the thin portion of the crosshairs extend farther out from the center than the standard reticle. Therefore, on a general purpose rifle, I would prefer the wide duplex, as it obscures LESS of the target. I could be wrong, but that is how I understand it to be. I have one of the wide duplex Leupolds, and it is not a thick crosshair at all. Very nice scope.

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    i'm looking at a leupold 3x9x40 VXII and would like your opions on the wide vs. std. reticle. Thanks in advance. Tom
    Which is better- vanilla or chocolate.

It's largely a matter of taste and habit.

I've got both and like both. Call me neopolatin.

Default bought the wide duplex

Thanks guys, I bought the wide duplex and its just a little wider on the fine X hairs , I didn't see much diference between the two and its going on a 375H&H. It's my all purpose rifle. Thanks again, Tom