Thread: .223 70gr TSX Barnes

Default .223 70gr TSX Barnes

Anyone played with this bullet out of a AR15?

I spent the day working up a load for my 16" 1-7 twist, 556 chamber. Meant for Bou inside of 200 yards.

Final load - this is a compressed load- also used a crimp as it will be feeding from magazine, plus I don't want the bullet pushing back out due to powder compression.

OAL 2.245

23.6 grains of Benchmark
    Winchester brass, New
    Fed 205M
    Velocity-20 shot average 2791
    5 10 shot groups Best 1.25 worst 1.95 @ 100yards

Dang TSX bullets are expensive. But I have my Bou load for this year. I'll let you know how it works. I have several Bou one shot kills with the 53 X bullet, just thought I would like to shoot one outside of 100 yards with the 16" 223 this year.

I might add that I wouldn't try this load out of a 223 chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    Anyone played with this bullet out of a AR15?

I spent the day working up a load for my 16" 1-7 twist, 556 chamber. Meant for Bou inside of 200 yards.

Final load - this is a compressed load- also used a crimp as it will be feeding from magazine, plus I don't want the bullet pushing back out due to powder compression.

OAL 2.245

23.6 grains of Benchmark
    Winchester brass, New
    Fed 205M
    Velocity-20 shot average 2791
    5 10 shot groups Best 1.25 worst 1.95 @ 100yards

Dang TSX bullets are expensive. But I have my Bou load for this year. I'll let you know how it works. I have several Bou one shot kills with the 53 X bullet, just thought I would like to shoot one outside of 100 yards with the 16" 223 this year.

I might add that I wouldn't try this load out of a 223 chamber.

I have killed more than a few caribou with the 55 grain WINCHESTER SP bullets out to 400 meters. I would never waste a 205match primer on a hunting load.

5.56 NATO chamber and the .223 Remington chamber, not enough difference to matter. Look at the reamer prints from JGS will quickly dispel that thought.

I have yet to get a soft point to not punch right through bone even out to 400 meters. Never recovered a bullet from a caribou. So why the TSX?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Seems you've done some home work, that load should work fine for 'bou. How do you like benchmark for the AR? I'm just wondering though, don't you own a hunting rifle?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thumbs up 70 gr TSX

I prefer either Reloader 15 and Varget.......and CCI Br4 primers

Reloader 15 is my first choice but the 62gr TSX I think would be better suited for the 223 Rem.
    Alaska

I vote along with you for Varget in the .223. I've never found a better powder.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I have killed more than a few caribou with the 55 grain WINCHESTER SP bullets out to 400 meters. I would never waste a 205match primer on a hunting load.

5.56 NATO chamber and the .223 Remington chamber, not enough difference to matter. Look at the reamer prints from JGS will quickly dispel that thought.

I have yet to get a soft point to not punch right through bone even out to 400 meters. Never recovered a bullet from a caribou. So why the TSX?
    NO THANKS on the 55SP. A 55 grain out of my 16" @ 400 meters is like shooting a 22LR at the muzzle. If the wind is blowing its harder to guarantee a good hit outside of 200 yard, a 10 mph wind will push that 55gr bullet 8Ē @ 200, thatís a complete miss or a gut shot on a wolf. I never pass up a wolf regaurdless of what Im hunting. I always find animals I have shot and prefer to have them drop within 50 yards of where hit.

Primers that go bang every time the hammer falls is not a waste. I got a lot more time & money invested in the hunt then a couple of cents. Also, always use new brass.

There is a difference in 556 and 223 chamber pressures due to the long throat in the 556 chamber. 223 commercial loading is approx 50K psi, 556 loads approx. 60K psi. I guess you never shot 556 Nato stuff though a 223 and have the case stick (very bad if follow up shot is needed)or worse seen one blow up?

Why the 70 TSX? Because it is much more predictable then any soft point. It will open up at 1850fps impact speed. Its less effected by the wind, rain or snow.This allows me to shoot a wolf at 300 yards and still have a superb wound channel. The 70 gr TSX also has 1000 lbs energy at 100 yards and it will out penetrate any soft point in this caliber which is what I want if I should want or need to shoot a black or grizz.

Thanks for your input. Have you been using this cal in an AR?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Seems you've done some home work, that load should work fine for 'bou. How do you like benchmark for the AR? I'm just wondering though, don't you own a hunting rifle?
    Murphy,

ARís are the ultimate hunting rifles : ) My other rifles stay home....in the safe

I didnít have any published data for Benchmark and the 70Gr TSX .224 cal. So I stuffed the case looking for high pressure signs and the pucker factor ( the educated guess), then backed off 5%....and still ended up with a compressed load....

I ended up with benchmark cause itís a bit faster powder then vargetÖ..was looking to get max velocity with the 16Ē barrel and this bullet. I got a bit more fps with it then Varget and the groups seem just fine. Also tried some 748 I had.

My most accurate load to date out of my 6.5 Grendel is with benchmark, so I had to try it with the 556.

I have always respected your input, so what do you think of Benchmark? What powder would you have tried to accomplish this out of the 16Ē AR barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    Murphy,

ARís are the ultimate hunting rifles : ) My other rifles stay home....in the safe

I didnít have any published data for Benchmark and the 70Gr TSX .224 cal. So I stuffed the case looking for high pressure signs and the pucker factor ( the educated guess), then backed off 5%....and still ended up with a compressed load....

I ended up with benchmark cause itís a bit faster powder then vargetÖ..was looking to get max velocity with the 16Ē barrel and this bullet. I got a bit more fps with it then Varget and the groups seem just fine. Also tried some 748 I had.

My most accurate load to date out of my 6.5 Grendel is with benchmark, so I had to try it with the 556.

I have always respected your input, so what do you think of Benchmark? What powder would you have tried to accomplish this out of the 16Ē AR barrel?
    I like Benchmark. I have not use it for 223/5.56 but have used it for the 6PPC and 6.5 PPC (Grendel) [I had mine first] and it really shines in that case. I thought it was a little slow for the 223 but should be ok with heavier bullets as you are doing. Varget is not the best powder for the 223, it is slower yet. H322 was always one of my favorite powders in this burning range and Benchmark has just about replaced it. I think you should try Alliant 10X i've started using it in various volume cases and it seems to be a very clean and consistant propellant. Both these Benchmark and 10X work very well in the 308 from an AR and I've used them the 16" barrel in this caliber and like that combo, also.

I guess I should have said can't you afford a real caliber, not the rifle, there's nothing wrong with the rifle....If you have a Grendel ....why would you need a 223? Is your 6.5 an A/A? What model do you have?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

"Primers that go bang every time the hammer falls is not a waste. I got a lot more time & money invested in the hunt then a couple of cents. Also, always use new brass."

What makes a match primer over a standard primer is a statistical average of a lot of primers for brisance. It has nothing to do with reliability of the primer going off. Call Federal and ask an engineer.

"There is a difference in 556 and 223 chamber pressures due to the long throat in the 556 chamber. 223 commercial loading is approx 50K psi, 556 loads approx. 60K psi. I guess you never shot 556 Nato stuff though a 223 and have the case stick (very bad if follow up shot is needed)or worse seen one blow up? "

I haven't had any stuck cases since Vietnam, but that was in 5.56 M-16 using NATO ammo. All with WCC head stamps from the 1960's. I had hundreds of stoppages with that combination.

I have loaded for class six sales may hundreds of thousands of rounds of military 5.56 NATO brass for people with .223 Remington chambered rifles with no returns or complaints.

I never buy any other than 5.56 NATO brass for loading as I'm assured it's once fired brass. As long as the crimp is still there I'm happy, with my RL-1000's you'll feel a de-crimped case as soon as it's in the de-crimped stage and I can reject it. This brass I buy in quantities of 20,000 at a time.

"Thanks for your input. Have you been using this cal in an AR?"

Yes I have been using them in several different uppers from 10" barrels up to 24" match uppers from White Oak and Crystal Lake. I use them in a few bolt guns for testing also.

In my uppers for the 6.5mm Grendel, I have one upper from Les Baer with a 24" barrel and I have one upper (from Accuracy Speaks) in my own version 6.5/.22 Lapua PPC. Lots of difference from Bill Alexanders 6.5mm Grendel. ( I had Bill's help with my design and his recommendations) Now that I have a licence agreement from Bill for the 6.5mm Grendel, I don't see the reason for messing around with my version. My reamer is set-up for the 120 grain 6.5mm Remington Core-Locs. Best I ever used on Caribou.

Murphy & Al

Glad to see some hard core AR shooters here.

Yep, I had 3 6.5 rifles, sold my 24 inch as my 19.5 does everthing it will. Also have a 16 inch m4 all Bill Alexanders. I have been killing bou for a few years with them and have one of the first 6.5 rifles Bill sold.

I shoot & own 20+ ARíS, calibers 556, 50beo, 6.5 grend, 308, 300rsum, 204 ruger,6.8spc, 458 socom.

Murphy thanks for the tip on the Alliant 10X Iíll try some.

Big Al, I have not loaded as much of the stuff as you but I can tell you that in my experience of firing up to 20K in 556 a year of surplus, commercial, NATO and my reloads, that I have seen plenty of stuck 556 Nato loading stuck in 223 chambers. Even had the displeasure of having a DPMS 223 chamber blow up next to me using LC 556. I have also seen some of the Brit stuff so hot that I quit shooting that certain lots out of my rifles.

I only mentioned the chamber remark in my original post as pressure signs in my 556 chamber were apparent until I reduced the load by 5%. I am sure they would show back up in a 223 commercial chamber, but as you know each chamber is different. Just did not want anyone to hurt themselves.

Murphy, the last guy who said my 556 wasnít a real caliber refused to let me shoot him with itÖ.

Default Bullet results on Game