Thread: Grouse techniques

Default Grouse techniques

Just wondering if you all have any interesting techniques/ideas for locating grouse in the woods. My lifelong experience is simply stomping around in the woods till I flush some birds or see them in a tree. I have had moderate success locating birds by softly clucking like a chicken when I know they are nearby.

(now for the ethical hotbed)

I use a .22 for grouse. Mainly because I don't like picking birdshot out of my meat and I like to make a clean headshot in order to not ruin ANY meat. I know some people don't consider this "fair chase", but I haven't found a good reason for not hunting this way. The fair chase for me is simply being out in the woods and locating the birds. I lose quite a few either by simply missing my shot or when they flush, they don't stop till they get to the next GMU.

Anyway, does anyone have any revolutionary methods for locating birds?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default grouse tactics

Grouse are fond of cranberries and rose hips so finding areas with these is a big plus, also grouse like lots of cover so willow and alder plus cranberries equals grouse. Try south facing hillsides as these have sun exposure first so they warm up faster. I also drive logging roads etc. during the off season looking for grouse and note those areas on my topo where I consistently see birds. I have no problems with someone who chooses the 22 over the shotgun even though I choose to take them on the wing, But I do have a problem with road hunters and those who pick off a whole family group with a 22. for those of you who are grouse hunters you should consider joining the ruffed grouse society, we have a chapter here in Fairbanks and also in Anchorage, your support would be appreciated.

Default RGS

Any contact information regarding the society?
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default ruffed grouse society

sorry about that........www.ruffedgrousesociety.org

Default grouse

Some years they are everywhere i walk in the woods. As long as it is mixed forest. I also use a .22 pistol with a scope. Headshots only and no bb's to pick out.
    I have only seen a few this year; one had just been killed by a hawk or falcon.
    Len Yuknis can help with RGS in Anchorage. They have a fundraising banquet that is quite fun. His number is 337-9591

Default Ruffed grouse

I've been hunting the foothills of Baldy these past couple of weekends. It has been nice to see a couple of families of Ruffed grouse in the area. Normally all I see up there are Spruce, but I have seen at least 6 Ruffed just this weekend. I was after moose, so I left them for another day. Hopefully they will boom around here.
    AKmud

LAdt year was my first year that I have gotten a ruffed. Some years I see a ton of them next I see nothing. When I head out to Sutton for Moose I will keep an eye for these little critters.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Delta Grouse+

I saw a good amount of grouse outside or Delta. Didn't hunt but saw alot from the road. Would be worth looking in though.