Thread: Another bluing question

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Another bluing question

So do any of you guys in the Anchorage / Wasilla area have a hot blue tank set up? I have some pieces that just need a de-grease and dunk in the bluing salts, polishing and prep is already done. Would be willing to provide some ice cold beverages and good conversation.

Send me a PM if you are in a position to help me out..
    Youve gotten soft. Youre like one of those police dogs whos released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something. Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    So do any of you guys in the Anchorage / Wasilla area have a hot blue tank set up? I have some pieces that just need a de-grease and dunk in the bluing salts, polishing and prep is already done. Would be willing to provide some ice cold beverages and good conversation.

Send me a PM if you are in a position to help me out..
    I moved away from hot bluing years ago, for a number of reasons. I would be more than happy to talk you in, to the do it yourself club. It is much cheaper, gives better results and is far and away more durable.

Besides the health issues with hot bluing, it surprises many to learn that the finishes many of us admired on the classics of yesteryear are not hot blued at all. If you are willing to learn and spend far less to do it yourself, I would be more than willing to help.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Ok Big Al, you got my attention!

Let me fill you in on what I got going on.. I have a Marlin Guide Gun and I have hacked sawed the barrel down to 16 3/8 (to get rid of that stupid ported section) filled in the rear sight dove tail, and re-profiled and polished some sections of the receiver and lever. This was obviously a blued steel gun to start with, and I am rather traditional in the sense that I much prefer the look of polished blue to any other finish. I dont especially care what the process is, so long as the end result is a shiny blue like appearance. Mind you that this rifles main job in life is to ride on the front of an ATV or get hand carried about as family protection. It does not have to look like new, or even match that great, but it does have to be relatively inexpensive. This thing see pretty rough duty, so most any finish is going to show some serious wear in a year or two, and thats fine with me, I just dont want to leave the sections I have worked on in the white if you know what I mean.

That said, go ahead and pitch me on your process, I am interested in hearing about it!
    Youve gotten soft. Youre like one of those police dogs whos released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something. Bill McNeal of News Radio

If we want a pretty finish = shiny finish then the metal needs to be "hand" sanded to 240-400. MAKE SURE ALL SANDING STROKES are the length of the receiver and barrel.

Durable finish is not going to be as nice looking as a shiny finish.

If you will look at the finish on the top of your Marlin receiver, you will see a low reflection top. looks a little rough to the eye, has kind of a velvet look?

The less reflection to the finish the more durable the finish. For one reason the finish has more of a porous nature than the knocked down polish and holds more oil.

The finish I use the most of is MARK LEE EXPRESS BLUE #1. Follow the instruction to the letter and you can not go wrong. I do preheat the metal with a propane torch. (not really I use a boiling water bath in my stainless tank) For small stuff I use the torch. You do not need the tank, It's that I already have the set-up on hand. What you will deal with next is the rust coating that you have to remove. This is where steel wool comes in.

I recommend that you do six coats, even though you only need to do three coats. The reason for six coats, it teaches mussel memory. The next one you do, will bring that good skill back.

Get MARK LEE from Brownells. I will PM you for any more help, please let me know?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson