Thread: Seward Alaska July update

Default Seward Alaska July update

I have been swamped this summer and have not been very steady with fishing reports from Seward. Here is what I know right now...

Silvers - it has been fairly slow both in the bay and in the ocean this weekend. The fish are there but the tides are very small and there is just not much current to get the salmon excited. I would expect to see significant improvment in fishing next weekend. My boats have marked and caught salmon in the last four days at Pony Cove, Chat Cove ( in Ailiak) Cheval Narrows, Callsito head, Fox Island, Mary's Bay, Driftwood Bay( Day Harbor), Pinnicale Rock ( Johnstone Bay). So it is safe to say that Salmon are in the usual places. none in great numbers but enough to bring some fish home for dinner. They are feeding on Herring instead of the usualy needle fish ( I speculate that the water is still too cold for needle fish) So ....The fish are responding to larger baits like green tray herring or the 4" herring flavored swim baits like Berkely Gulp. I would troll larger spoons over hootchies if I were trolling. I have been mooching them up from about 30' to the surface.

Halibut fishing has been pretty tough for most during the last week due to the small tides and crappy timing that allowed for a big slack right in the middle of the fishing day. My boats have been catching them all along the coast. I have been fishing deep now, like I always do after Montague gets infested with dog fish...Which I am sad to report has happened during the last two days. They may back off during the next big tide set but it usually marks the begining of the end of that great fishery when the doggies show up.
    The near shore halibut fishing has been better this year than the last few. Fishing the 50 fathom edge at Fairfield, Junken or Cloudy Cape to the West should be good enough to fill freezers for the winter.

Of all the fish we have killed over the last 15 years in Seward, the Lingcod have taken the worst beating. Most of the productive reefs are not holding the big bucket heads they used to. There are some keepers to be had and when everything comes together, some good catches have come in but it is far from the automatic, all rods bent, WFO lingcod we had just five or six years ago. I hope that Fish and Game puts in some measures to allow for those stocks to rebuild. They grow fairly quickly, reaching maturity in five years. All it would like is a little shorter season and a one fish bag limit along the whole Gulf to allow these fish to come back to where they were ten years ago.

Anyway thats what I know from Seward. I will do another report just before the salmon derby.

Good luck to you and

Default Good report

Thanks for taking the time to write your fishing report...good info.

Great report, thanks.

Default Excellent

Great report, thank you. Especailly interested in your comments on the Lingcod.....man are they fun to catch and equally fun to eat!

Thanks for the report.

I found in the last 2 weeks that they are still feeding on needlefish as every one I cut open was full of them. Only one fish had herring in its gut.

We did well this weekend on silvers near Agnes but didn`t see the heavy action of last week.

Smile Akcapt

Great report. Hope to be out there Thursday or Friday. Your information is appreciated.

THANKS!!

Default Seward

Great report from a class act! Not many other guides/charters are willing to share fishing reports on this forum. If I decide to head out for a charter in Seward you have my business, period. Many thanks for taking the time.

Finest regards,
    BB

AKCAPT your Dead on!!!! went to Montague sat and noting but cookie cutter halibut 20-30. Honey hole for Lings was a awful nothing but dogfish. caught about a huge skate. And one of the Military caught the only silver for the day at Fox that tied for first in the Kulis ANG fishing tournament.

Sunday went to Pony and was one of 3 boats there early. An hour later it looked like a highway. Silver action was slow then hot for a few then shut off. We had 11 take down and landed 7. We caught two mooching and rest were trolling. Small herring with a hoochie.

I had a great time taking 2 soldiers plus one guys wife and kid out for the Kulis Tournament and Take A Soldier Fishing. More important they had a great time. One of them never been on the Ocean before. He was pumped to see all the whales and other sea life that was out them.. The 20# halibut to could of been a 100# that how excited he was. One a funny note. Same guy caught what he thought was his first Ocean silver Sat. until I told him yeha it's silver in color but it's a pink. But sun. he caught a nice silver.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm taking the wife down to the military resort in Seward this weekend for some R&R. We are not taking a charter or anything, but still bringing the rods and reels. Any places to fish from shore or a creek in Seward I might be able to hook into anything? Thanks.

Default Seward

Jeff,
    I think your best bet may be 4th of July creek across the bay from Seward. Just throw the normal hardware out into the ocean near the creek. Otherwise get out on a charter, I think it obvious who I'd recommend. If I'm wrong some else please chime in!

The tides. I dod not think of that. Live and learn. I was out last weekend as well as this weekend, and there was a dramatic difference in the activity of the fish as AKCaptian says.

AKCaptian,

Thank you as well for the posts. I have seen your posts here before, but I would like to know the name of your charter so that I can recommend you. It seems like there are two distinct groups of charter operators, those that are helpful and curtious to the private boats, and those that are rude and annoyed by our presence. I would like to reward those that are nice to me with more business. I may be getting you on someone else's bad side by saying this, but I would personally like to see the name of your charter in your signature, since if you tell it to me just once I will have forgotten about it in at some point.

Jim

Smile My company

I own and operate Crackerjack Sportfishing Charters in Seward. I do not like to advertise it in this forum. honestly, I have plenty of business and like to keep my comments about fishing and not marketing my business. The one thing we all have in common here is that we love to fish. I am lucky enough to get to do it everyday. My payback is to share at least enough information to help out some fishermen who are not out all the time.
    Seward can be difficult and I think it is better for everyone in Seward if it is worth your while to come down and catch a few fish. Rest assured I am not spilling all the beans on the internet. Just enough to be of some help.

Private boaters are no threat to my business and I think guides in general get a bad rap in Alaska. Hate to see the actions of a few reflect badly on my business. Asking questions and making mistakes is how we all learned what to do.

All my captains know that they should be respectful and helpful to the private guys. If you see my boats out fishing in the bay, you are welcome to pull up and ask them how the fishing is or whatever. They will help out who they can. Just pull up slowly.

With that said, we do tend to push for our share with the other charters. They are fair game when it comes to catching the fish

Good luck down here!

...if you do approach the charter guys, please do so from alongside their boat and not right at the stern, as there will be multiple lines in the water and soon to be a fish on one or more of them...

also, when you see a charter boat hooked up to a fish, try to resist trolling circles around their boat at close distance... there is nothing more frustrating than losing a prized fish to some idiot's trolling gear... keep in mind that some clients are first time ever fishermen (especially children), and to lose that first ever fish is heartbreaking.

most guides will lend you advice and at the very least a friendly hello, just give them some courtesy and a respectful distance, as most of them are trying hard to earn their bread and we are all out there fishing to have fun!

thanks!

Default Halibut in August Question

AKCAPT. I have a question and I am sure you will be able to answer but anyone with some knowledge in this area is welcome to reply. This is the second year I have fished Seward. Near the 3rd week of August last year the halibut seemed to disappeared from the usual spots we caught them out at the Chiswells. Our last trip out last year we did not put on halibut on the boat. Lings and bass were still on but it was like a light switch. I suspect the water temp drove them deep and out. Any input? Also thanks for all the input. I have read all of your posts. I have caught a lot of halibut in the bay this year off some of your shared knowledge. Picked a spot, kept lots of bait down and waited it out. Slow fishing, but the quality of fish we caught was much better than running out to the Chiswells for the chickens. I much rather catch 3 30 pounders than 10 15s.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

Default Late summer halibut

Halibut do tend to disapear from many of their usual haunts in the late summer. I read in one book some evidence of a migration that occurs. I usually attribute this to the abundance of salmon for the halibut to feed on. I know some fisherman have had great luck fishing at the mouth of rivers and creeks as the halibut move up to feed on the salmon carcasses. I know one private boat in Seward, that has racked up some incredible catches fishing by Tonisna Creek in late August..You might remember reading in the newspaper when the late Jodes Taft paddled a kayak out from Lowell Point to Tonsia and caught a 188 pound halibut in late August!! Another has anchored up by the sawdust pile across the bay and waited out mulitple barn doors over the years in that time frame. Same hold true for Pony Cove towards the end of the time when the Salmon are around there...Plenty of halibut move in to eat them.