Thread: Canoe "end" protection?

Question Canoe "end" protection?

I have a polyethylene plastic canoe (like a coleman) that is beginning to wear on both keels from dragging across the ground short distances between my car and the water, and wearing on the shoreline. i am concerned it will wear through long before the rest of the canoe is ready for retirement. What do you recommend i put on the outside of the ends to protect them from further wear and tear? Where can i get the stuff you recommend, and how do i best adhere the stuff to the plastic?

thanks in advance for your input.

Default End Protection

ther is a product they use on regular boats that comes in different colors Cabelars sells it buy a short pice an try it what have you got to louse it is used to potect the keel of your boat on rocks an sand it looks like a tape that folds in half it comes in 3 inch on both sides of the fold an 4 inch on both sides, don't know how long it will stay on, or put alumin on it with pop rivits an sealent mold the alumin to fit [soft alu. an a hammer can do a lot]

SID

Default Canoe

PSyou can also put a coating of Rino coat [truck bed line] it will stick to the plastic ends or use a paint on truck bed liner from your local auto parts store
    some people have used it on canoe's in a rental fleet an have not heard of any problems an yes it will add weight, but any thing you do will add weight.
    SID

Default Sid

thanks for the truck bed liner material idea. i will look for the do it myself kit at an auto parts store and give it a try.

Default Protection

Good Luck
    Sid

Default Sid

just an update to my original post. i picked up the bed liner material (better late than never, but the price was finally right). now i will just have to wait until the summer to apply it

Default protector of keels

keep us posted as to how it comes out as I think a lot of people would like to do it seeing you are doing it in your back yard. good luck
    SID