Thread: Raspberry Island Hunt

Default Raspberry Island Hunt

I am going to Raspberry Island in November for deer and elk. I need a new pair of boots and not sure which ones to buy. The guy I hunt with and the outfitter I am using have Menidl's. I was looking at the "Perfekt™" 10" Hunter Boots by Meindl from Cabela's. Would just like others opinions or ideas. Also any other advice for hunting Raspberry Island, as I have never been there. Thanks

Default No Ideas

No one has any hunting tips for Raspberry Island in November?

Expect rain and wet conditions. The island is just like Afognak. Steep from the beach and leveling off up high. Some timber especially down low. The upper areas are typical grass/bushes/berry canes. Walking in November is slimy. You may have frost in the mornings. Low clouds and occasional snow mixed with rain is typical. Hunting Raspberry and/or Afognak requires good strength and stamina if you want to be successful. The critters don't hang out where walking is easy. Coming down the slimy slopes with a loaded pack is hard work. Harder as you get lower because it gets steeper. You'll see bears. Especially in the lower drainages. If you kill an elk expect to have company. I was taught to cut up the animal and quickly move the meat away from the kill site and hang it high. Getting it to the beach was what you did the next day.