Thread: Legal Shooting Hours

Default Legal Shooting Hours

Maybe I'm blind but I can't find a regulation about legal shooting hours in the General Information Hunting Regulations. What are the legal hunting hours if any in AK?

Thanks,
    --Bill

If you can't see what you are shooting at, you don't shoot.

Actually, I haven't read the regs on that, but that is what I go by.

It is illegal to use an artificial light to hunt with (unless you are hunting furbearers with a trapping license).

So that means, if it is too dark, or too foggy, or anything else, you don't shoot.

Bill - I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that waterfowl hunting is the only area that is strictly regulated by legal shooting hours. As for big game, it's just an issue of being able to clearly identify your target and the area around it. As martyv says, if you can't see...

-Brian

Default page 15 Hunting Regs. No artifical light

Page 15 in the regs under "You MAY NOT Take Game by:"

Not sure if this will be readable but I'll try it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default hours

I believe it's an hour before official sunrise to an hour after official sunset. Not positive though. Might be 1/2 hour. I always err on the side of caution especially in the evening. Don't want to wound an animal and give them all night to suffer and get away.

Twodux has a very good point about ethically not shooting but the State of Alaska does not have a restriction on shooting hours for big game. If you can see it with out the aid of an artificial light, you can shoot it. If you fly out, not until 0300 the day following the day you flew in on those hunts with the same day airborne restriction.

Thumbs up Moonlight

Hunting predators in the winter by a full moon is one of my favorite times. Since we can't use spotlights for them, this is the next best thing. With the moonlight reflecting off the snow it is almost like daylight.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. The other states I've hunted usually have a sunrise/sunset table in the regs with the lagal times defined.

--Bill

"Hunting predators in the winter by a full moon is one of my favorite times. Since we can't use spotlights for them, this is the next best thing. With the moonlight reflecting off the snow it is almost like daylight."

AKMUD...if you read page 12 of the trapping regulations, you will see that you can take furbearers (predators) with the aid of artificial light in most of Alaska with a trapping license during trapping season. So now you can hunt every night.

Thumbs up Thanks for the heads up!

I did not know that. I guess I should get a copy of the trapping regs. I was thinking about getting a trapping license this year anyway after reading the thread about snaring foxes. I have a lot of them around here and have some good trails to use. I may have to incorporate a spotlight into my evening activities!

Thanks again!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Hours

-- No shooting hours for big and small game hunting

-- No shooting hours for trapping and lights are allowed. Animals do not have to be in a trap to shoot, but you must have a trapping license and it has to be trapping season.

- Shooting hour ARE in effect for waterfowl since migratory game birds are federally regulated.