Thread: Propane Refrigerators

Default Propane Refrigerators

Does anyone know where to buy a 3 or 4 cu. ft. propane refrigerator in Anchorage?

Suburban Propane. I've had a Consul brand propane fridge for about 15 years and it's been almost perfect. When it needed a replacement igniter Suburban had one. They still sell the same model today.

I searched all over town last spring and Suburban Propane(which they were more expensive and out of stock) and Home Depot were the only places I found. I have been using it all summer up at my cabin and am VERY happy with it. No more hauling ice, no more floating food, less to bring up every week to the cabin. I also bought a gas range. I turn the frig down to the lowest setting before we leave and crank it up when we arrive. With two kids the stove gets plenty of use and together with the frig I have been having to to refill the tank(barbeque type, I think 5#er) once a month.

Question

what is the price range on those fridges?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

homerdave- I paid $970.00 for frig, reg.$1150.00. $380.00 for the range.

I also have the consul brand. You have to make sure to clean the flame tube regularly. Our freezer was getting cold but our refrigerator was not until I cleaned the flame tube out with a wire brush that was provided. I still have a couple of issues that I need to try to fix when I get time. The spark igniter isn't working so I have to manually light it. Also the little window at the bottom is supposed to go green to show you that the flame is lit and mine doesn't show anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambow View Post
    I also have the consul brand. You have to make sure to clean the flame tube regularly. Our freezer was getting cold but our refrigerator was not until I cleaned the flame tube out with a wire brush that was provided. I still have a couple of issues that I need to try to fix when I get time. The spark igniter isn't working so I have to manually light it. Also the little window at the bottom is supposed to go green to show you that the flame is lit and mine doesn't show anything.
    A couple of hints. When you brush the flame tube all the soot falls onto the burner. When the ignitor and/or the burner have any soot the sparker won't arc. Pull out the fridge, remove the sheet metal safety shroud, and blow out the burner. If the fridge hasn't been burned for a while bugs and spiderwebs will cause the same problem.

The sight window is nothing more than a plastic rod that works as a fiber optic rod. You can push it in and pull it out a little to make the flame more visible. Even then it isn't easy to see unless you're at the perfect angle. Don't pull it out too far or you'll have to pull the shroud off to see where to reinsert the rod into the burner box. You won't break it if you pull it out too far. Its just inconvenient to fix.

When shutting down, if you turn off both knobs on the front the fridge will start instantly the next time you light it. If you just turn off the gas supply and not the flame adjustment you'll have to hold the supply knob in for a minute or two to purge air out of the lines before gas reaches the burner. It took me about 10 years to figure that out, and it was an accident that I figured it out at all!

Thanks Mr. P. I knew about the soot falling into the burner but I never thought about shutting both valves off. I was always irritated about how long I have to wait for it to relight.

Good info MR Pid. I did cover the burner before I brushed the flame tube and also brushed the burner off with a toothbrush as recomeded. I'll try to blow it out a little more and also check the distance from the igniter to the burner.

It would be nice to get that burner window working so I don't have to pull the fridge out everytime. I'll try your suggestions.

I have a propane heating stove from North country that had to learn to purge the air out before it would ignite.

As long as the igniter button is snapping when you push it you should be generating a spark. If its snapping and no spark? I'd bet the sparker is dirty or bent too far away from the opposing surface to arc.

I wonder if your viewer is pulled out already. Mine is pretty much flush with the inner control panel and the bevel faces up. The only time I can see the flame is to look square to the beveled surface. With mine if the bevel comes out at all past the face of the inner panel its no longer inserted into the fire box.

Your comment about the freezer getting cold but not the fridge hits home. My tube must need cleaning. Thanks for the tip!