Thread: 454/45 long colt??

Default 454/45 long colt??

My son just got his new rifle, a 454 casull puma, the store did not have any 454 shells so they sent 2 boxes of 45 long colt (hornady 244 grain cowboy action) on the box is says 700 fps muzzle vel. we are in the bush right now and all my reloading books are at home. I need to know on the 45 long colt are these mild loads? how fast can you push the 45 long colt? Ive heard the 45 can be loaded hotter than the 44 mag is that true? These bullets are not very accurate in the Puma (hard to keep on a 6 inch paper plate at 25 yrds) Is the Puma very accurate? He got the gun to take horse wrangling/guideing this fall but is not so sure now, with these bullets at least. How about the 454 with factory loads, what fps does it get? I know one guy who has one and he said its a real thumper? Im pretty good with rifle cal. but am pretty clueless when it comes to handgun cartridges. He also has a ruger old army BP handgun in 45 cal. and is thinking of getting a centerfire cylinder any info on those would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'm no expert but if feed back is what your looking for then...

Hodgdon tite group at 6.6gr in my 45/454 Ruger Alaskan with a 250gr bullet gives me 940fps in a 2.5 inch barrel. That makes a easy to shoot practice load in a my short barreled hang gun. I imagine it would go faster in your 16 or 20 inch Puma.

I recently shot a 20" Puma in a 454 and loved it. Better than 2 inch groups at 50 yards standing with open sights was pretty easy. I'm strongly considering one as a gift for my dad prior to September to go with his 454 hand gun. I think having ammo that works in your hand gun and rifle is pretty cool.

Grizzly ammo claims 1550fps in a 335gr bullet out of a 7 inch barrel. I imagine it would be good round out of your riffle. That load isn't much fun at the range in my Ruger 454 Alaskan but it shoots very consistent.

If you reload the .45Colt you can get a lot more horse power out of the Puma. But I would not try it with a longer chamber. The chance of burning a carbon ring in the chamber is high. Your best bet is to get a hold of Starline and buy 250 rounds of brass from them. The 250 round brass pack is shown @ $86.85.

http://www.starlinebrass.com/

I have not shot any .45 Colt ammo in mine, just the .454 Casual. I'm limited by my eyesight and the sights on the 92 clone Puma to be able to tell you how the accuracy potential of the rifle is.

I do know that I can hit a paper plate at 100 measured yards with the rifle. Using a suggest load I got from RANGER RICKS bullets he sent me along with my order. Seeing as how his load worked for me, I felt I was good to go.

I just have not felt the need to spend a lot of time messing around with this rifle. It does what I want it for and with the limited sights it's hard to get excited about the rifle.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I would certainly do what Big Al suggests and order some .454 Casull brass. In a pinch though, you can load up some +P .45 Colt loads. I'd still keep them within reason, and not try to get .454 Casull pressures--think of these loads as ".454 Specials".

How hot you can load .45 Colt ammunition is totally dependent on the strength of the gun you'll be firing them in. Naturally, with a gun designed to shoot .454 Casull you can load them up much hotter than SAAMI specs for .45 Colt. One big thing to keep in mind though, if you have any guns like a Colt SAA or clone, the danger of mistakenly loading it with your +P ammo is huge. .45 Colt ammo loaded to 36,000 PSI fired through a Colt SAA or clone will almost certainly blow the gun apart. Just something to watch out for.

I shoot a lot of the RCBS 45-270-SAA bullet in my Redhawk, and I typically use 25 grains of W296. I've heard the Redhawk will handle more pressure, but that load already gives me 1400 fps out of a 7.5" barrel which is plenty for me, and also very accurate. That load out of a 20" rifle barrel will certainly do much more--maybe 1700 or 1800 fps? Not sure...

You'll be much better off if you can find a gas checked bullet to use in that rifle, maybe from Cast Performance or a similar company. Plain or bevel base cast bullets have been okay for low velocity plinkers in my .44 mag Rossi 92, when I hit about 1400 fps the groups open up tremendously unless I use a gas checked bullet design.

Mike

The bullts I get from RANGER RICK are all gas checked bullets. His prices beat other suppliers by a good margin also. But that's not the reasonI bought bullets from RICK, it's because he's here in Alaska. His products work as advertised. He always sends extra styles to try out. Just and all around great guy to deal with.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Here is a thumper load I shoot out of my model 94...

350 LFN, Vihtavuori N110, 20.8 Grains....Never Chronographed it out of the rifle but a friend shot it through a 6" blackhawk and got 1350 FPS...Its Hot and it hurts!!!