Thread: adak caribou

Default adak caribou

I'm planning on going to Adak in the middle of september to hunt caribou. I have a free ticket out there so cost will not be an issue. We don't want to get a guide- my question is how realistic is it that we can get a caribou. I live in Alaska so I know how to deal with horrible weather. Any info would be appreciated- are we better off tent camping, what is the best way to get around- rent a car?, are we going to have to get away from town quite aways? I'm just starting to do my research on this adventure, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Default adak

hello,the caribou are mostly on the backside of the island,taking a boat is best,but watch the weather,really big boo,,hold out for the big guy

Default Check old thread re: Adak

Check out: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=adak

-- or -- just search the Hunting Forum with "adak" in the subject space & WyoHunter (who started the above thread) in the poster space -- it has some solid info in there about conditions on Adak & what you can/cannot expect.

It has gotten a bit crowded out there the last couple years & the caribou have figured out where the end of the road system is, but if you are up for the weather (windy, cool, rainy) and are willing to pack it out a few miles, you should be OK to get some meat animals -- unless, as the previous post suggests, you are looking for a bigger bull -- in which case, the boat to the south end really is your best bet -- it'll cost you though -- all you saved in airfare (& then some).

As I think Michael Strahan mentions in the other thread, there is housing -- again, sorta spendy but if you split it up, it's not bad.

Good luck!

Default adak

We went last aug. We got a ride to the end of the road system then hiked south about another 6 mi. and set up camp. We hiked each day from camp farther south to the east and to the west. We saw quite a few caribou but did not see any really good bulls. Good spotting scope saves a lot of walking. We spoke to several hunters back at town and only one group said that they saw a nice bull to the far south east. I dont know if anyone that was on the flight back to anchorage actually shot one. We were looking for a bull and could have shot some for meat but the pack out would have been tough. As other posts on Adak say the weather is bad, it rained every day that we were there and the terrain is tough. Oh I almost forgot about the wind!!! With all this being said it is a interesting place to see. Hope this helps..

When the Navy was there the biggest 'boo's in Alaska were on Adak. As I understand it most (?all) of the really big bulls have been culled. Apparently the south end of the island has been hammered really hard by commercial operators for the last 5 to 10 years and the results are not unexpected. Hopefully you will find a decent bull that has been missed....hopefully. Review the archives, this has been dissected fairly extensively in the past.

Thanks for the info guys- it is about what I expected to hear. I'm just as excited to see the aleutions as getting a caribou. Hopefully we see at least a few bulls- any other insight would be great

Thanks again

Dave

Thumbs up fishon

take some fishing gear, world class

Don't forget to nose around in the bunkers around 'town'..... verrrrryyyyy interesting. Lots of old munition sites, etc.

Oh, and don't forget to visit the Adak National Forest ! Just ask anyone where it is.