Thread: $$ to ship antlers

Default $$ to ship antlers

Will AK airlines let you check them in like bags? Anyone know what they charge you?

Default Here's the link

Check this link out:
    http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...ng-Antlers.asp

Should have what you are looking for.

I work for the airline, 12 years of that was in cargo.

If you live in state, it is easier. I see you are from Juneau so you could ship regular cargo as we have a freighter that goes there a couple times a week.

Antlers to the lower 48 are shipped via "Antler Express" which is Fedex. Alaska will take the antlers, bag them, box them and ship them for you via Fedx anywhere in the lower 48 to your door. No checked baggage for antlers unless they meet the requirements, which most will not due to size. Too many problems in the past with half rotten skull plates and antlers being broken in transit for not beign boxed up. Plus you have the whole TSA issue these days. No "unknown shippers" cargo on passenger flights these days.

Be prepared to pay some big bucks for out of state. Usually it is $400 minimum for an oversized package of antlers. I saw some that were near $600 and that was two years ago before the fuel cost drove up prices. Was interesting to watch some guy who just spent $12,000 on a hunt complain about a few hundred bucks to ship his antlers back home to New Jersey.

If you are shipping them within the state you can send them air cargo without being a "known shipper" but they will base the rate on a dimensional weight if they are bulky such as caribou antlers and it will still cost at least a few hundred dollars most likely. The cheapest way to send them is to cut the skull plate and nest the antlers together, duct tape them well, cover the points with rubber hose or empty shotgun shells, duct tape a plastic bag around the skull plate and you can ship them as checked baggage as long as the dimension doesn't exceed 115 inches, that's length plus circumference. I've shipped some pretty good size caribou antlers from Adak this way as baggage. It's also possible to nest several sets of intact antlers together (I've done as many a 11 sets of caribou antlers together) and it only costs as much as the one biggest set of antlers since they just measure the overall dimensions of the package. So if there are a few of you going on the hunt you could reduce your costs per set a lot if you want to keep them intact. I should mention that if you ship them as cargo they don't need to be in a box just cover all the points and wrap the skull plates well. "Antler express" is very expensive since you have to put them in a box and there are FEDEX charges, delivery charges etc. included in the fee.
    Mark

Default Pricey

I shipped a whitetail head mount up from Montana last summer. $360.00. AK Air would not check it.

I have my Alaska Air Known Shipper designation. I shipped 160 pounds of meat and a moose rack from Fairbanks to Portland last year for $210. I had to cover the antler tips with cardboard, tape it really good, then put it in a huge plastic bag that I had to buy from the shipping dept. It all arrived in Portland a couple hours after I did.

I have shipped multiple caribou and moose racks and plenty of meat out of Fairbanks in the past 6 years. It has always been about the same cost and I have had zero probloems so far.

Quote Originally Posted by akrider View Post
    I shipped a whitetail head mount up from Montana last summer. $360.00. AK Air would not check it.
    As long as the length plus circumference didn't exceed 155 inches and it didn't weight over 100 pounds you should have been able to take it as baggage. A couple of time I've had problems with the check-in agents not knowing the rules, and I've had to insist on having them check their own rules, sometimes you just can't take no for an answer. I once had an agent tell me that anything that contained antlers must go by antler express, not true. Of course antler express is by far the most expensive option.
    Mark

Default Kots to anchorage

We shipped 4 sets of antlers on NAC from Kotz to Anc for something like $60 last September. All were split and nested then attached to a pallet and tarped.
    Bruce

I checked with NAC what costs were to ship from Dillingham as that's where I'm hunting out of this fall. Costs were 29 cents a pound plus a 42% fuel charge and a 6.25% tax. For 500 lbs she said it would be 218.77 back to Anchorage for an example.

Default American Airlines

I was also checking into antler shipping and I checked into American Airlines. They have a section on their website for shipping antlers. It is $100 plus the additional baggage fee. Their baggage fees are $15 1st bag, $25 2nd bag, $100 for 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Its getting really expensive!! Also, you have to remain in their size and weight limits of 70lb and 115 inches.

115 inches? Let's see: a 60 inch moose rack in a box that I would guess needs to be another 36+ inches high would leave about 20 inches for depth....could be close.

Anybody have first hand knowledge of whether or not a moose rack would make this size??

Sounds like the most inexpensive way though...... for now.

How about this.... if I drive up and back is there anyone who would want to pitch in for fuel and get racks etc. home cheaper than shipping?

I'll come through Montana and then I head east in December to do outdoor shows in the east from Michigan to Pa and Massachusetts for my outfitting business. Just a thought if anyone is interested.

Default Shipping

Hey LungShot,

From a previous post I beleive you're coming from Juneau to the North moose hunting? Ship the antlers air cargo back to Juneau. All are out at the airport and it is quick and painless. NAC or ACE are the ones I use primarily.

Gooch

Default Gooch

Thanks to everyone.

Gooch... How much you figure it will cost for 350lbs of meat plus the rack from Aniak to Juneau?

Default Rates

Around 38 cents a pound to Anchorage from Aniak and about $1.50 per pound fron Anchorage to Juneau. I would say $600 total for the whole deal and they can keep it frozen. I am heading to my place on POW in a few days ans I will backhaul all the fish and deer from Ketchikan. BAckhaul is a great geal - if you live in Anchorage, that Anc to Jnu leg is gonna cost you.

Question Follow on question...

I have a similar question...
    I was fortunate enough to draw a Kodiak Brown Bear tag this year and am trying to figure out, if I am blessed enough to be successful, good Lord willing, how to get the hide home. I have been reading that the hides may exceed 100 pounds, which is the limit AK Airlines has for perishable items (meat and hides). I would hate to split a hide in two, and any advice that anyone is willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fuse

Default Where you from Fuse?

Ship it Air Cargo from Kodiak. 100# hide will cost you about $35 to Anchorage. Anchorage to anywhere else in AK will cost additional. That said, air cargo is the way to go. Shipped 11 deer, ducks, gear etc from Kodiak to anchorage 2 years ago (no fuel surcharge) for $110.

Default North Pole lucky man...

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Ship it Air Cargo from Kodiak. 100# hide will cost you about $35 to Anchorage. Anchorage to anywhere else in AK will cost additional. That said, air cargo is the way to go. Shipped 11 deer, ducks, gear etc from Kodiak to anchorage 2 years ago (no fuel surcharge) for $110.

Gooch,
    I'm from North Pole and will be flying back to Fairbanks (hopefully with some lucky cargo). Do I need to arrange to ship it Air Cargo through Alaskan ahead of time? I've never used it before. Thanks for the help and advice.

Paul (a.k.a. Fuse)

Default Known Shipper

Hey Paul,

It helps to become a known shipper for AK Airlines, they are good to use for shipping. I would recommend calling ACE Air Cargo and asking them the steps they would like for shipping. Typically I just show up at the Kodiak Airport and ship my stuff. It takes about 10 minutes total. Good luck on that bear hunt!

Gooch

Default Nwa $100

I just returned with a whitetail mount from Iowa on NWA. They charged me $100 and the box measured 122 inches. 122 inches is a very big box. It wieghed 70 + pounds.