Thread: how many decoys

Default how many decoys

Got another question for everyone........does anyone here believe in the statement that one should always have an odd numember of decoys in their spread? I guess so if any loners fly by and land they will have a buddy to pair up with. Also besides mallards what other species do people have in their spread. I am just curious. Last would be anybody have any luck with any confidenace decoys up here?

In my experience it doesn't matter. Ducks can't count. The only time I have ever noticed birds caring about the spread is later in the season, when they are getting shot at a lot. I usually use mallards, widgeon, pintail, and about 4 floater goose decoys. As far as confidence decoys go, I have never used them, I have heard they work.

It only seems to make a difference with very small decoy spreads and small groups of birds or singles. By small I mean two or three decoys, such as I use on long hikes to reach small waters. Put out a pair of mallards and birds might or might not stop. Put out a hen and a couple of drakes and it seems to work better. Best yet, put our three hens and no drakes.

Only a general rule of thumb, and maybe an excuse to carry fewer blocks on long hikes. On big water with big flocks.... nah.

Default Decoys

Down here on the peninsula I do not use Drake decoys at all. The ducks have no color on them until much later in the season and I seem to do better with the decoying if I don't use drakes.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

Default hens

Hen decoys are all we use in the spring as well, draws the drakes in like magnets.

Default Size of water and wind direction

as long as you dont over crowd the water you should be fine, to add a more advanced hint of realism to your spread make sure you Decoys are always facing into the wind, through a crane on the bank about 50 to 100m away from your spread to build confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50 View Post
    Down here on the peninsula I do not use Drake decoys at all. The ducks have no color on them until much later in the season and I seem to do better with the decoying if I don't use drakes.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

Same here I only use hens on the lakes in palmer. Drakes have no color.
    I use about a dozen and one baby hen mojo
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK