Thread: Lake Creek

Question Lake Creek

Any recent water level/clarity or fishing reports for Lake Creek? We are headed up the 1st week of August so I'm trying to get an idear what to expect for water conditions.

Are you guys going with an outfitter or is this a private trip? I'm contemplating this trip for next year and just trying to gather ballpark costs for transportation to and from the put-in/takeout.

Its a private party trip. My cousin is setting up the flights in and out and I'm not sure yet what it cost's but I could try to find out for you if you'd like.

depending on where you are flyingout of. From Lake hood it is gonna run about 1500-2000 per beaver load. If you are traveling light and can take the 206 it will be a little cheaper.

The guys at Trail Ridge Air fly out and drop off / pick up every few days so they have a cost nailed down pretty tight.

Thanks for the price estimates. I'll have to give Trail Ridge a call. If I'm correct a Beaver holds about 1200lbs of people/gear? I new it wouldn't be cheap. There's no such thing as a cheap beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Thanks for the price estimates. I'll have to give Trail Ridge a call. If I'm correct a Beaver holds about 1200lbs of people/gear? I new it wouldn't be cheap. There's no such thing as a cheap beaver
    Nope and we wouldn't be paying for it if we had one of our own!

Default Lake Creek flt

You can trim off about $250.000 or $300.00 by flying out of Willow with Willow Air. I live in Anchorage, so for the $50.00 in gas money it is worth the short drive.
    If you glance at a map it is clearly a shorter flight from Willow to that giant lake where Lake Creek originates as opposed to Anchorage/Lake Hood.

Dennis

Thanks,
    That's a good suggestion.

I floated Lake Creek about 15 years ago, and flew in from Talkeetna. I'm sure the costs have changed enough that what we paid would have little bearing on current charges. I just remember that when I researched it back then it was least expensive to fly from Talkeetna. K-2 flew us in...

Default Floated Lake Creek two weeks ago.

Flying in from the Big Lake or Willow area will save you some $$.

On Chulatna Lake, there's a nice beach to assemble your raft located on the opposite shore from the last cabins (on the hill) at the mouth. A float plane can easily taxi up and unload.

As you near the mouth at the Yetna, keep river right. There's a small island (10 yds diameter) located next to a lodge with some A-frames (trimmed in green paint). It will be on the right side. Good place to pack up and wait for your ride. Make sure your pilot taxies in from up river direction as there's a submerged sandbar between the isle and the main channel - easy to see the ripples.

The water should be rolling after all this rain. You should have fun as there are three sets of challenging rapids and around 5 miles of boulders to manouver around. The river is very clear and the fishing was excellent. I'm looking forward to doing the trip again soon.

Default Water Level Update?

I'm headed up at the end of the week to float Lake Creek. Any recent updates?

Thanks

Just got off a 7 day float on lake creek..Aug20 - 26 Had a great time caught lots of fish. A couple of heads up. About half way down is when the big water is. It comes on fast. My son was rowing at the time and did a good job at keeping us up-right...IIRC it's around
    N62 10.017' W151 03.161' Also once you get down near the end stay to the left. Do not go to the right..like some guys I know did..That's "Little Lake Creek and has three large trees acrost it. We..I mean they had a 16' cat and made for some interesting back seat oaring comments. This is around N61 55.687' W150 55.000' The water level was around 1.5 foot and was not to bad in the 16' cat with four guys.

Tony