Thread: New Hunting Boots

Default New Hunting Boots

I am going to Raspberry Island in November for deer and elk. I need a new pair of boots and not sure which ones to buy. The guy I hunt with and the outfitter I am using have Menidl's. I was looking at the "Perfekt™" 10" Hunter Boots by Meindl from Cabela's. Would just like others opinions or ideas. Also any other advice for hunting Raspberry Island, as I have never been there. Thanks

My husband has Danners and I have Vasque.
    He's has his for quite sometime, though. He's really liked his over the last couple of years.
    I am new to Vasque, but from all the product information that I read, it seems that it's a real good boot.

One that really caught my eye, though, was called Rocky.
    Have you taken the time to thoroughly look into what kinds of boots you think that you might be interested in getting?

Here you go:
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...?c=116&dc=1153
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    I am going to Raspberry Island in November for deer and elk. I need a new pair of boots and not sure which ones to buy. The guy I hunt with and the outfitter I am using have Menidl's. I was looking at the "Perfekt™" 10" Hunter Boots by Meindl from Cabela's. Would just like others opinions or ideas. Also any other advice for hunting Raspberry Island, as I have never been there. Thanks
    Those are good boots. You may want to look at the Kenetrek mountain boots and the Lowa "sheep hunters" as well. The Lowa boots can be seen at Barneys Sports chalet in Anchorage, and the Kenetreks can be seen at sportsmans.

Thumbs up meindl

stick with the meindl's, I've used them for over 15 years and wouldn't try anything else...I use the Canada's but some friends have the Perfekt and swear by them.

Default Lowas at Beaver Sports

They have Lowa Sheep hunters at Beaver Sports in FAI as well.

Try the Kennetreks and the Lowa GTX boots preferrably with your heavy pack loaded to the gills. People might look at you funny but you will be happier on the scree slopes.

Hanawags are super boots as well.

I would go with the Lowas if you have the time to break them in.

Sincerely,

Thomas

I've got the Perfekts....Great boot!

I have done a ton of hiking this year, but without any load on my back. I have been using a pair of Asolo Fugitive hiking boots and frequently have a set of 6 point instep crampons on them. I am headed out on an archery goat hunt in October and these will be my main boots. I will be leaving my Kolfack (?sp) boots behind this year.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I like my Meindl's. That's what I use now. I used to use Danner's back when they were made in Oregon. Now, they are made in China and the quality sucks compared to the dollar that you spend.

The Perfekts really are perfect, as long as you don't have to climb in too many sharp rocks; the lack of a protective rubber rand makes them susceptible to cut in hard scrabble. I wore these my first two seasons sheep hunting and never got a blister, but they were a little warm for August. The foot bed in them helps a lot with circulation in the feet, but takes a little getting used to.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    The Perfekts really are perfect, as long as you don't have to climb in too many sharp rocks; the lack of a protective rubber rand makes them susceptible to cut in hard scrabble. I wore these my first two seasons sheep hunting and never got a blister, but they were a little warm for August. The foot bed in them helps a lot with circulation in the feet, but takes a little getting used to.
    Meindl Alaskan Hunter's are what you want for August sheep hunting...

I have the perfekt's and they are the best I have ever used... I was a danner guy until I got these boots and will probably never change....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I like my Meindl's. That's what I use now. I used to use Danner's back when they were made in Oregon. Now, they are made in China and the quality sucks compared to the dollar that you spend.
    Not all Danners are made in China. They still make a few good ones here in the US.

+1 vote for the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400!

I first bought the Lowa Sheep Hunter but the "fit" just wasn't right on my foot. They were nicely made boots but I returned them and bought the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. The Kenetrek fit like a glove out of the box and there has been no break in period! They are simply the nicest boots I have ever owned and I honestly don't see myself ever buying another brand of boot.

Not all Danners are made in China. They still make a few good ones here in the US.
    I was all excited about the Danner Full Curl boots until I found they were made in China. Frankly, I wear made in China boots and shoes, but I won't pay over $100 for any of them. The $300 Danners that are still made in USA don't hold a candle to Lowas, Meindls, and the Kennetreks.

I literally wore Danner boots every day for ten years. They are not what they used to be. I actually sent two different pairs of boots back for a face-lift over that time frame, and I swear I got new boots in return.

Default Danners, Meindl's, Kenetrek, Russell Moccasins

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 wins!! I have all Four. Meindl's close second. Danners will kill you with a load on your back coming down. Russell Moccasins, that one hurt for awhile...

I have a pair of Danners that I really like. I also have a pair of Rocky's that i am not impressed with.

I'm no Alaskan hunter, but for my hunting here in Arkansas I have a pair of Lowa GTX boots I picked up on a trip to Montana last year from Schnee's. The rep told me I'd need a break-in period. Not mine. They were just right, right out of the box. I had no idea how much difference a good pair of boots would make until I started hunting in them. These days, I'll find an excuse to cover 5 or so miles squirrel hunting. No blisters, no turned ankles, nothing. I love 'em!

With that said, I'm heading up to Alaska to hunt grizzlies with Jake Jefferson and his .416 Rigby the first week of September. He told me to leave 'em at home and go with a more waterproof boot. I'm assuming we're in for wet weather, and the reading I've done in the forums seems to back that up.

So, what's a good wet weather boot, gents?