Thread: Tumbling media article

Default Tumbling media article

saw this on ebay...

People who reload appreciate clean shiny brass.
    Tumbling media lasts a long time, but who really wants to pay $5 a pound? Sure you get a fancy plastic jug... but it goes in the trash eventually.
    Here's my cheap solution:
    Go to your large chain pet store. Look for the big bags of lizard litter or bird cage litter. They are made of crushed walnut shells, just like tumbler media. Same size. Same stuff. You can get a big 7-pound bag for about $7.00 a bag.
    $1 a pound beats $5 a pound any day!
    If you really want a nice big plastic jug- I like the half-gallon kind that juice comes in (such as cranberry or grape or apple juice). Also, some salsa or pretzels come in nice big widemouth plastic screw-top jugs- especially the big size ones you get at Sam's Club or Costco. Co-incidentally, I also use these containers when I sort and organize my brass anyway- keeps the dust out and they are freebies. These are excellent for keeping your media or brass in. They won't break or spill and they won't tarnish your brass. Make sure you remove the labels, rinse them out and dry them completely before putting anything else in them.
    To extend the life of your media by keeping it clean, take used dryer sheets and tear them into little pieces about the size of a quarter and put them in the tumbler with the media. The dryer sheet chunks will absorb the dust and dirt that is released from cleaning the brass.
    To make your brass sparkle, add a small amount of liquid automotive polish to your media while the tumbler is running. Nu-Finish or Turtle Wax or any other mild auto polish works well. Don't use too much! Usually a thimblefull is all you need. Why pay for the expensive brass rejuvenator polishes, it's all the same as auto polish.

Good information!
    Been using this stuff for years and it works great. Hardly any residue on the cases and it cleans better than the stuff designed for the tumblers.
    Have also used rice with good results.

Thanks. I learn something new everyday. J.

I use water with dish soap and a capful or two of lemon juice in the rotary tumbler...works great!

Nice timing. Local shop was out of media this weekend so I didn't get any. Looks like I'll be going to the pet store.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Snowwolfe, is that the long grain brown rice, or the white rice? And how does that rice taste after polishing a few thousand cases?
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Great advise, just picked up 7 lbs of crushed walnuts at Petco for $8

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Snowwolfe, is that the long grain brown rice, or the white rice? And how does that rice taste after polishing a few thousand cases?

White rice
    It has a slight metallic twang to it after using it.

Coffee works good in a pinch as well

Default Toxic Tumbling media

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    White rice
    It has a slight metallic twang to it after using it.

Coffee works good in a pinch as well
    I may be gullible, no, I AM gullible. If you say you have tasted rice after using the rice as a tumbling media, I will believe you. So, I have to say this, Copper, a major component of the brass that is rubbed off in the polishing process is TOXIC! Don't eat it.

Second question: I have recently heard of a ceramic media for polishing brass. In guess it would last longer, maybe even be washable for even longer extended life. Does anyone know of a manufacturer or web site I could research to find out more?

Lost Sheep (Lalrry)
    Last edited by Lost Sheep; 07-31-2008 at 23:53. Reason: spelling

Cabela's sells it, if that will help

My favorite gun store sells crushed walnut by the 50lb bag for $70.00

I have been washing my brass before tumbling. This keeps the sand and mud out of the media which lasts a long time. Also, doing so helps get rid of the small rocks that sometimes breaks pimer decaping pins.